Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate data doesn't syncing over Strava correctly

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have the Blaze and cannot utilize Connected GPS with my android phone.  So on my cycling activity, I start a Bike Activity on the Blaze and a Run Activity via the app's MobileRun feature.  I end up with duplicate activity, which I don't really care about since the calorie count doesn't double up.  The recorded Run Activity is useless to me since I don't want to see my mile splits, so I have it auto-sync'd to Strava, where I can convert the Run to a Ride so I can get the speed, HR and GPS route of my ride.

When looking at the Strava Ride, sometimes, the heartrate data stops being updated in the middle of the ride and stays at the same rate for the rest of the ride.   The recorded Run and Bike activity under the fitbit app shows no such glitch.  I would have to delete that ride in Strava, save the fitbit Run activity as a .tcx file, and manually import the file in Strava.

Is the Fitbit sync to Strava auto-converting the heartrate data wrong?  Is it syncing to Strava before it can get the complete heartrate data from the Blaze?  If so, I would think if it has an activity that has heartrate data, it would not sync to Strava until it has the whole set of data.

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject For Clarity and label

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hello @phatbitzr, good to see you around in the Fitbit Community! I was reading your post regarding the heart rate data is not syncing completely to Strava. As you said at the end of your post, the data syncs to Strava once the activity has been completed.

Note that you are recording 2 activities at the same time, one with GPS and the other with your Blaze which doesn't contain any GPS data. So in this case is important to mention are happening two different things:

First as you said you are duplicating the activity and it does affect your calories. Since each exercise will add different values of calories burn for each exercise to your total count but it won't affect the heart rate data sent to Strava whatsoever. I made a quick example with my dashboard to illustrate this point.

I logged over my data another activity similar to the walk exercise I recorded with my tracker and as you can see, calories went from the original amount of 2,288 to 2,408 calories with the duplicate entry.

Calories.png

Back to the integration; what is affecting your heat rate in Strava, is that only one exercise contains GPS data. In the way Strava syncs or this integration works with Fitbit is that only exercises with GPS data recorded with Fitbit will be sent to Strava and Heart rate data will be included when it's available.

So any other exercise that doesn't contain any GPS information won't be share to your Strava account. That is the reason you don't see the whole activity from Fitbit. With your Dashboard won't occurred this since the information is compile for the entire days regardless if you have two activities for one exercise, but as I said before, calories might not be so accurate for a duplicate exercise.

In this case if you want to use the Strava integration, keep in mind your Fitbit activity has to be recorded with GPS for this to work.

Now I'm wondering why you are not able to use connected GPS, is it failing this feature? Let me know more details about this. Perhaps we can find a solution.

See you around and hope this helps.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @RobertoME, from my observations, I don't see the calories doubling up, since the looks of it, the sole determination of my calorie burn rate is my heart rate, and there is only one instance of that.  Here are 2 exercise, run from MobileRun, and Bike from the tracker's shortcut:

MobileRun's Run, where you can see I am burning roughly 12 calories/min:

fitbit_run.JPG

Bike from the tracker's shortcut.  where the calorie is pretty much exactly the same as the run's, at around 12 calories/min:

fitbit_bike.JPG

The calorie burn rate for that day, where you can see the calorie burn rate during the exercise (5:50PM-6:24PM), the calorie burn rate is in the range of 60 calories/5min...same as 12 calories/min:

fitbit_calories.JPG

The steps are way off, maybe combining its estimated steps from my run and whatever it measured from the bumps on my ride.  But I don't really track steps, so its inaccuracy doesn't really concern me now.

As for Strava, my MobileRun activity (which has GPS and heartrate data) does get sent to Strava, but once in a while, the exported data in Strava, the heart rate goes only to a certain time, then stays flat at the last heart rate for the rest of the ride.  I don't have an example to show you now because I have to delete the Strava activity in order to import same activity via the .TCX file downloaded from the same MobileRun recorded exercise.

I don't use Connected GPS because my phone has BT 2.1, which doesn't support that feature, and a LTE tablet I have, the Connected GPS results shows a very sporadic pace and my location jumps from point to point.

Best Answer
0 Votes