Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Blood sugars from Dexcom G5

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Not impressed with the response from fitbit - this is a BT device that links to iWatch, iPhone and Android phones. It does not need to link to any web based data. There are many diabetics using both fitbits and Dexcom G5's, its about time these were linked together so users can read their blood glucose on the fitbit.

All you get today are the text warnings from an iPhone - come on fitbit get yourselves sorted out.

Best Answer
52 REPLIES 52

I want to link my dexcom G5 continuous glucose monitor to my fit blaze watch so I can monitor my blood sugars from my watch is this possible 

Best Answer

@Kelszy56 i would say no,  since your Fitbit can only link to you Fitbit account,  It might however be possible to connect the account your meter is connected to, if it is a network connected device, to your fourfold account?  But Fotbit has no option to record bloodsugers, and had smitten several requesr to add this feature. 

Best Answer

Well I know from the dexcom app it will send the alerts to the blaze watch  if the blood sugar is high or low. But I want to actually view my blood sugars in live time from my CGM on my fit bit blaze, maybe there is an app that would allow for that thru Bluetooth?

Best Answer

Actually the dexcom App sends the alerts to your phone, the Fitbit app just passes them on to the tracker. 

Currently Fitbit does not have any way to manually enter blood sugar readings. 

The Blaze itself is only able to connect to the Fitbit app. There is no way for either yhe Blaze or the Fitbit app to connect to a third party app.  these connections are done in the cloud between Fitbit.com and the third party

Best Answer

I need the real time data also.  Perhaps someone will create a compatible app for Dexcom's Continous Glucose Monitor G5 (CGM).  Since the Fitbit and the G5 CGM both use Bluetooth, it seems reasonable that such an app is possible.  I do have access to the G5's data through my iPhone, however, there are situations where it is not possible for me to carry my iPhone.  Having the data on my wrist would be best for my situation.  I do know that Apple has the ability to handle the data from he G5, but I would rather not move to the Apple Watch just for this function.

Best Answer

I know you can link dexcom to another companies watch...not sure if I can post that... but it sounds like papple hiwatch :D.  I'm thinking about returning my fitbit for that reason alone, I'm still in the 30-day return policy. No hate on the fitbit, I still love it, just wish I could easily pair my dexcom with it.

Best Answer
You can get notifications by going into settings. It will tell you high alert, low alerts etc just does not display the actual blood sugar. But that's what we really need to see.

Sent from my iPhone
Kelli
Best Answer

@Chas21 im not sure what the response you got from Fitbit was, there has not been any in this thread.

My thoughts are while the fitbit tracker links to the Fitbit app, it only does this yo send its data to your Fitbit account.

Peiple say the Dexcon links with other apps and their associated accounts but according to Dexcon you need their app. This makes me think that the Dexcon links directly to their account amd any linking through third parties are done through the internet. This also is the only way a third party can link to your Fitbit data.

My suggestion is to ask Dexcon to link up with Fitbit, Fitbit has provided all the tools and is more than happy to help with the process, but Fitbit lets the third party do the linking.

In fact Fitbit makes it so easy for others to link up that they will admit that it is nearly impossible to easily find out every site that has linked to fitbit. You dont need to ask fitbit for permission with the basic linking. 

Best Answer

Even that is better than what I have.  Which settings do I need to "go into" to send the text to my Fitbit?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community @Chas21@Kelszy56@jon25 and @Composed.

I know there are many other features we would like to see incorporated in our trackers. However in the case of third party services, please refer to @Rich_Laue post. Many of the supported integrations are not developed by our initiative. These developments comes from the third party service itself using our open API.

So my recommendation is to approach to the developer of Dexcom G5 to learn more about their future plans. This would be the only way to have the data from Dexcom G5 on your Fitbit account sine there is no way to track this information from your Fitbit trackers.

If this is something in which you're interested, please visit the following idea: Track glucose for diabetics, and contribute with your vote and comments. This is a great way to let us know what you'd like to see in the future.

Hope this helps. Catch ya' later!

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I'd spoken to the CEO of fitbit, he recommended that I post my request on this site, which I have done.

I'm very sad to see the responses so far - this is BT based data that could so easily be added to the fitbit devices. Those in the business fully understand that its not the third party developers fault that its not on fitbit.

The other post  Track glucose for diabetics is not directly related, its about tracking glucose intake (food) not recorded blood glucose levels.

Best Answer

As you say Fitbit not having the option to track blood sugar is seperate from having a third party app link up to fitbit.

My answer was based off of the Third Party FAQ, which can be found at the top of this forum. 

WHY DOESN'T FITBIT UPDATE THE {app} INTEGRATION AND ADD MORE FUNCTIONALITY?

Fitbit doesn't own or maintain third party integrations. It's up to the owner of the third party app to implement or update features for their app. Unless there's some sort of limitation on Fitbit's side (e.g. no Fitbit SDK), then it's safe to assume that the owner of the app is the one to contact if you're interested in seeing the integration improved.

Best Answer

Just a thought, haven't tried it. The sugarmate app sends dexcom G5 notifications to my apple watch through iphone. Could you use sugarmate and have your iPhone send the reminder to the Fitbit as a notification? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My daughter wears Dexcom G5 and Fitbit. She would love to be able to see her BG numbers from her Fitbit. I'm getting my husband an Apple watch for this reason but really don't want to buy my 10-year-old an Apple watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You could also take a look at the "Pebble" smartwatches. The company was sold and they won't make them any more (actually sold to fitbit), but you can still find some of the watches around for really cheap. ($20-40 for a great watch). I have both an Apple Watch and a Pebble. Although I like the AW better, the pebble lasts all week on a charge and the Dexcom 5 notifications and watch faces work very well.

Best Answer
0 Votes
An update to this topic, Fitbit announced a collaboration with DexCom to develop and market products to help better manage their diabetes and get a more complete picture of their overall health.

The first planned initiative will be an experience available on Fitbit Ionic that will show users data from the Dexcom G5 Mobile continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) System (with either Android or iOS devices) right on the wrist, without having to open an app. This will be developed using the Fitbit SDK and available in 2018. 

The full announcement can be found here

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
Great news!

Please forgive any typos, Glenn

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello!

Is there any news on when Dexcom readings will be available on fitbit ionic?

And can I already buy Ionic now and use this function when it's released?

Thanks, Leonneke

Best Answer