Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Blood sugars from Dexcom G5

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Not impressed with the response from fitbit - this is a BT device that links to iWatch, iPhone and Android phones. It does not need to link to any web based data. There are many diabetics using both fitbits and Dexcom G5's, its about time these were linked together so users can read their blood glucose on the fitbit.

All you get today are the text warnings from an iPhone - come on fitbit get yourselves sorted out.

Best Answer
52 REPLIES 52

Hello @Leonneke it sounds like that is what the article above is saying. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually, assumptions and conclusions are not helping. I am really wondering why Fitbit or Dexcom are not more transparent about progress or planned release. I just got approval for a Dexcom G5, which is great. But as so many others, I would like to have my glucose data on a smartwatch. Preferably a direct connection of Fitbit Ionic with G5, instead of using any Android Watch. However, what I am missing, are clear and concrete updates like:

• Is it possible to buy a Fitbit Ionic smartwatch now and use the new app/'integration' as soon as it's available?
  • When is the planned date for the release, what's causing troubles?
Best Answer

@betazelle please see @katefitbit's post and @dalalmandhi's on that are found on the previous page of this thread. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue wrote:

@betazelle@ please see @KateFitbit's post and @dalalmandhi's on that are found on the previous page of this thread. 

Those posts are from half a year ago... I think the question is when an update on this is expected. And if it makes sense to buy the fitbit ionic already now (And link with dexcom can be done via an update in due course)

Thanks

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue sorry, but that doesn't helpnor is anything new. As @Leonneke pointed out, it's about some more information, which would bring some light and transparency to the topic. I mean, they announced it for this year, but are leaving customers without any clue. Answering the two questions/topics I've raised would be a good start. Maybe someone from fitbit could help out with an update here - just hoping loudly 😉

Best Answer

I've contacted support and got answers to my two questions:

My Question: Is it possible to buy a Fitbit Ionic smartwatch now and use the new app/'integration' as soon as it's available?

Reply: Yes. ..."what we do to integrate new released features is through updates to the operative system of the Fitbits that can be performed through the app in a phone, so when you purchase the Ionic, it is in its factory settings, therefore you need to update it as soon as you are setting it up for the first time with your Fitbit account." 

My quesstion: When is the planned date for the release, what's causing troubles?

Reply: we are currently studying the best way to integrate the two devices/apps, and also how to better display the information in the Ionic watch about the blood glucose levels, so we will be releasing this feature to all the public in the transit of this year. An estimated release date is not yet available.

Conclusio: If you buy the Fitbit Ionic now, you'll get the feature through an update. The feature will be released anytime 2018, but there is no date yet (officially). 

Best Answer

"transit of this year" is much different than the press release saying as soon as early 2018. I'd love the dexcom integration as well since I'm a newly diagnosed type 1 still trying to figure this all out. 

Best Answer

This year is 2018 I'm not sure where. He difference is. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The difference is they changed the time frame from "Early 2018"  to anytime in 2018. The press release implied Q1 of this year. Now that date could be Q4. A huge difference for someone that bought this watch in November 2017 when the Dexcom-Fitbit press release came out.

Best Answer

Fitbit is not a medical device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have found articles and press releases from both Dexcom and Fitbit saying that the Dexcom g5 system will communicate with the Fitbit ionic as early as possible in 2018 but I have yet to see any official dates. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

At ATTD congress in Austria last week, Dexcom revealed that G6 transmitter will support FitBit Ionic. It's release date will be mid of 2018 in US and shortly after that EU.

Best Answer

The G6 will be a slight upgrade to the G5...I can't understand why they don't already support it. There are just so many reasons to turn your back to fitbit and they keep growing...

Already thinking about getting the iWatch...

Best Answer
0 Votes

As your aware @SunsetRunner it was only a few months ago that Fitbit entered into a discussion with Dexcom. I'm surprised that things are moving this fast since it requires to completly separate companies to get together. 

Also the Ionic is the first Fitbit tracker that can act as a host, something that this idea requires 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Today, 03/16/2018, wanting to go ahead buying the Ionic.

Went to their site and did NOT find the CGM element/component being part of the specs/features.

Like a few people in this forum say, there seems to be confusion: does [Fitbit] Ionic really have this CGM? or are they releasing them on some future 2018?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is it a soluble now? No is it coming? It sure looks like it. Fitbit has invested a few dollars to make it happen. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue, It is the CGM feature that I need, without it I might as well stay with Fitbit Charge2.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone! I was reading all you comments and thank you for your feedback. I'm happy to know you are eager to see this partnership between Dexcom G5 and Fitbit becomes available soon.

Rest assure it's currently in development slated for this year as @KateFitbit announced earlier in this post. However there are no further details I can share with you at this time.

As soon I got more information, I will visiting this thread to keep you all updated.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

@RobertoME any breaking news already? some moons passed already since the last post. thought, it might be worth a shot asking...

I already have the ionic. Currently my workaround is to export all data to a nightscout bridge site and import them through the restAPI to the FlashCGM watchface. So, at least, when I have connection and my mobile is around I do have the glucose levels on my watch, but far away from direct, independent and stable connection  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought an Apple watch yesterday. I tried the Xdrip and Nightscout for a bit but was not impressed. Then I started reading on some Facebook forums how these were draining the Fitbit batteries,  And several where it was killing the batteries in the Dexcom transmitters within a matter of days. People were saying to make sure you uninstall these apps and put the Dexcom app back on your phone before calling support and not to mention you had used these or it would void your warranty. At that point I decided it was better to go with a fully sanctioned integration. Hence, the Apple watch. I still have a Fitbit One,  So I will probably use it for a bit and compare whether I like the Apple fitness app better than the Fitbit. I will likely be dropping my premium subscription since that has not been working for several days now anyway. I think Fitbit is having some major issues and they need to get their act together.

Best Answer
0 Votes