Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava Sync Losing Steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have discovered an issue relating to Strava syncing.  I've tried to demonstrate it using a diagram below.  Essentially what happens is when I start running with Strava recording sometimes Strava will crash midrun or through stupidity I'll forget to lock the phone accidentally hit the right combination of buttons to finish my exercise on Strava.  If I keep running and register, say, 10k steps over the course of the whole run my Charge HR and Fitbit app will show this.  At the end of the run when my Fitbit syncs with the app and registers the exercise it will discard all steps between when Strava stopped the exercise and when I synced the app.

My suspicion would be that the auto-exercise recognition calculates a run of 10k steps but when Strava syncs it sends a run of around 7k steps and for some reason the app, rather than splitting into 2 exercises based on the time period it discards the extra 3k for some reason.  Clearly some parts of the Fitbit service still sees these extra steps as I still get badges (I got a 25k steps walked badge even though my tracker, after losing about 5k finished at below 25k steps) so I'm not sure what to do about it except for not connecting the 2 apps?

example.png

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hello there @SunsetRunner, welcome aboard to our Community. I'm curious about this issue, although I would like to understand better some key points. So by reading your post I can see that your Charge HR and the Fitbit recognized your exercise with 10k steps. But when your Strava activity syncs too its like it override part of your steps when Strava crashed? Is this correct?

When its related to integrations, there is not too much to try as the API belongs to Strava. I know that after linking both accounts you may see some differences in the way data is calculated for your exercises on each site. For more information, refer to Strava'sCalorie Calculation article.

However if this issue still is happening and is not related to the previous article, I can presume the steps are being override. Note that when Strava syncs an activity it will be prompt as an activity record on your Fitbit Dashboard. All steps, calories, and active minutes recorded by your tracker are overridden for the duration of an activity logged by the activity's entered values. So it wont split your activity in two exercise as this will be duplicating your numbers.

Regarding your badges, it shouldn't reward you if the steps are being override. Although if there was an activity that made you reach the 25k steps and later was removed. The badge wont be deleted and unfortunately this cannot be manually removed.

I would like to know if the issue persist if can you share with me some screenshots of your exercise on Fitbit in comparison with Strava? I think I will have a closer look of this issue to suggest a solution.

See you around and keep me updated if you have more questions.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having an issue that when I walk over rough ground and sync Strava that I lose steps. 

I think what happens is that when I finish a walk on rough ground I have taken more steps per mile.

So fr instance my normal step count per mile is 2200. on rough country walks it is nearer 3000 steps per mile.

so at the end of a 10 mile walk over rough ground my wrist device says I've walked 30000 steps but thats 13 miles on the fit bit wrist devise (charge HR in this case)

when I get home and Strava syncs its only saying I walked 10 miles and it is correct. But Fitbit thinks that I ALWAYS walk at 2200 steps a mile so 10 miles to Fitbit is only 22000 steps. And so it then adjusts the total stes taken to 22000 and I lose 8000 steps.

can you sort it or do I just unsync Strava?

Best Answer
0 Votes