Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing Map My Run with Fitbit

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

There's one other thing I'd like help with. I've synced mapmyrun with my Fitbit but nothing happens. After I've ran with mapmyrun, I'd expect it to sync my run to Fitbit but it doesn't. Would you know how I can make that happen every time?
Cheers

Best Answer
0 Votes
26 REPLIES 26

@LeonJ I've moved your post to this board since it is more related to your question and will be easier to get as much help as needed, also to share it with more users that might have the same question 😉

I'll be happy to provide some guidance! Map My Run is compatible with Fitbit so the first thing I'd like you to do will be checking if it is already approved in your Fitbit profile, you can check by going to your Online Dashboard >> Settings >> Applications or by clicking in this link.

If you don't see it approved yet, I'd like to suggest this article to find out the steps you need to have both of your accounts linked. 

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes! 😉

Best Answer

Thanks for the quick response. I've clicked on the link and it states MapMyFitness is an application I've authorized. So it appears I am synced to MapMyRun, I just can't see how I can have my run stats that I do with MapMyRun sync to Fitbit. Cheers

Best Answer

Heeey! @LeonJ I'm glad you've been able to link your accounts now.

The information that syncs between Fitbit and MapMyFitness ( MapMyRun, MapMyHike, MapMyRide, and MapMyWalk) is only one way, meaning that it will sync from Fitbit to MapMyFitness, the information that gets synced is Distance and Calories. Your MapMyFitness account will be updated each time Fitbit syncs.

I'll suggest to check on MapMyRun directly, activities should be displayed there. 🙂

Hope it helps! 

Best Answer

Thanks Gisselle, good to know it wasn't a case of me being stupid. I think it's crazy that it syncs that way. Surely it would make a million times more sense if your mapmyrun, mapmyride, etc synced to Fitbit. Your runs, bike rides, etc contribute to your whole day of steps, calories, etc. Your whole day's activities don't contribute to a run or bike ride so I just can't understand why it is that way round. Is that something that may change in the future?

Also, while I'm speaking to you. Since I updated my Fitbit app on my HTC One M8 (Android) phone a couple of days ago, the app is playing up. When I'm trying to manually upload a workout, the keyboard stays in place on the screen, meaning I can't complete the action. I have taken a couple of pictures I could show you to demonstrate what I mean.

Many thanks, Leon

Best Answer

@LeonJ I agree with you, however as of now we wouldn't be able to give a date or a time frame to have changes made when it comes to the information synced between Fitbit and 3rd party integrations such as MapMyFitness.

Now, in regards the app in your HTC One M8, did you restarted your phone after installing the update? If you haven't done so I would recommend to do so.  Logout from the Fitbit app, restart your phone and log back in, it should help the app to refresh itself and your keyboard should not stay on the screen any longer.  If the issue persists, share here a screenshot so I can take a look to it. 😉

I'll wait for your reply! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Gisselle. That's cool, I wouldn't expect to be given a date. Is syncing the other way something that is in the pipeline though?

With regard to my issue since the latest update. I did restart my phone after installing it and have just done so again with no joy unfortunately. I've enclosed two pictures showing what happens now.

Thanks

Best Answer

Hi Gisselle,

Any joy with finding out more about the problems I've been having with my Fitbit app on my Android phone sinse the last update? It is very frustrating.

Cheers, Leon

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LeonJ I'm sorry for the delay, I had some days off! 🙂 Would you mind posting the pictures again? I can't see any images in your posts, make sure they are in format JPG, PNG or GIF.  I'll check in further detail once I get to see them. 🙂

I appreciate your patience!

Best Answer
0 Votes
No worries Gisselle, how you had a nice few days off. I can't see anywhere for me to upload the photos. What would be the best way to send the photos to you?
Thanks
Best Answer

Hey there @LeonJ, well the best will be to have them in this thread but if they're not posting try sending me a private message and send them as attachments.  🙂

Enjoy your day!

Best Answer
Hi Gisselle,
There doesn't seem to be an option to add attachments on this thread or in a private message...
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am able to get MapMyFitness info to Fitbit by moving it through My Fitness Pal.  MFP does allow two way posting, so anything MFP receives from MapMyFitness logs to MFP which in turn sends it over to Fitbit.

Bike rides, runs, walks and logged workouts have all successfully transferred from MapMyFitness to Fitbit by linking both to MFP, although recently I have noted that logged workouts are showing up on MFP from MMF, but the logged workouts do not also show on Fitbit.  Anything recorded as a distance workout still works fine. I expect the logged to be a temporary glitch.

Best Answer

Hey Nancy, thank you very much for your help. That's great if that is the case. Is it all pretty straight forward to connect the three apps?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, it is quite easy to connect them.  On MapMyFitness, go to the Improve section and select Device Connect,  There you will see a long list of connectable devices. Select Fitbit and MyFitnessPal.

On MyFitnessPal, go to the Apps section.  Once there, select Fitbit and MapMyFitness. 

Once you have done that, any activity created on MapMyWalk through the Record workout function will get to Fitbit through MFP. 

After doing this, all activities, recorded and logged will move from MMF to MFP. Right now, logged do not then go on to FB for some reason which has only happened the last couple of weeks. I only log twice a week so do not know if that has been fixed yet. By this I mean my walks, runs and bike rides show on Fitbit coming from MMW, but my Pilates class logged does not anymore.  Will try again today.

Best Answer

Thank you, I'll give it a try!

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, I have all the apps connected, but my biggest question is about double counting.  Here's the scenario:

1) Going for a 3 mile run

2) Start the workout on FitBit Charge HR

3) Start the workout on MMF (I want to track my distance covered)

Easiest solution would be for FitBit to let MMF use it's heart rate data, but I suspect that will never happen.  So, I'm left wonder if the apps are smart enough to recognize the same workout or if MyFitnessPal, which both the above apps are linked to, is double counting.

Any thoughts?

Best Answer

Hi Gissselle,

Could you give me the best way to contact a manager? I've had nothing but problems with my Charge HR, some little, some very big. I'm fed up lf all the problems. Right now, neither my phone or my tablet can track my Charge HR, meaning I haven't been able to sync or do the update that is required. To make it more annoying, I've just returned from a trip where there was a four hour time difference so my Charge HR is four hours ahead. It is just one issue after the other. So could you get back to me asap as I am far from happy again with Fitbit?

Leon

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fishdude100, I'm having the same issue as you! I believe that it is currently double counting. I'd love to be able to use all 3 apps together easily! I think I had read before somewhere that the easiest way to do it is to sync MapMyFitness with MyFitnessPal, so any run or workout done in MMF would then transfer over to MFP. Then, as long as the times are entered correctly, the calories counted as burned from FitBit during the time of the workout would be removed, thus eliminating the double counting that would happen if the workout was both listed in MFP and integrated into the FitBit calorie adjustment. However, to me that deletes the purpose of the HR in that the calories estimated from FitBit should be more accurate than that from MapMyRun. Any suggestions?

Until then, I think I'll just leave MapMyRun unsynced to look at distance, track my workouts on the FitBit, and track food through MyFitnessPal. 

Best Answer

I just got my flex 2 days ago and had this same question - I ran 2 miles yesterday while wearing the flex which is connected to my MapMyRun app and wondered if the workout was double counted. I think I'll unsync MapMyRun from my flex just to be sure it's not padding my stats! LOL! 

Best Answer
0 Votes