Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bitTicker Notifications

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 3/11/16:

Hey all,

I realize for most of you bitTicker was an important part of your experience with using Fitbit. With each iteration, we definitely aren't looking to limit functionality. Quite the opposite really, we're always looking to improve. Receiving notifications from various apps can be a huge factor when it comes to using activity trackers or smart watches and there's certainly potential for this feature to exist. If this is something you're interested in, I'd suggest voting for this notifications Feature Request. The Feature Request board is a great place to get the attention of our engineers and developers.

I wouldn't recommend reverting the Fitbit app version to 2.19, especially since you don't always know the source of the download.

In the meantime, looks like bitTicker is still working for @homebound:

homebound wrote:

I have a Blaze and my BitTicker is working fine. I use it as "text" replacement not as "phone" replacement.

FitBit 2.20.1 , Blaze Firmare 17.8.102.7. All notifications are coming trough as they always did.

Hope this helps. Remember to vote for that idea to bring more attention to it! 🙂 

Fitbit Update 3/10/16:

Hey everyone,

Here’s the situation with bitTicker.

Though we’re not familiar with how bitTicker works, the recent bug fix for outbound call notifications for the Fitbit Android app may have caused bitTicker to stop working.

This was a bug fix, not an intentional block of bitTicker. Since we don’t support bitTicker, there are no plans for reversing the bug fix.

You can reach out to bitTicker directly for further information.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

Best Answer
100 REPLIES 100

i use BitTicker on my phone, until this morning it worked well.

now with the new FW i see that i get no notification from the phone.

BitTicker seems to be working fine, but i think fitbit FW was changed so now it's not supporting BitTicker anymore.Smiley Frustrated

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer

According to the bitticker site this is not going to be resolved either

http://bitticker.newimage.io

Best Answer

yes, i just saw it now.

also talked to BitTicker over the mail.

this is bad.

until fitbit can give the same solution as BitTicker does, they should not block it.

Best Answer
I too am very disappointed that my Bitticker app no longer works. Please Fitbit, restore this ability asap
Best Answer

Extremely disappointed that my BitTicker app stopped working after the latest FitBit updateSmiley Sad FitBit, please either revert your notification code, or improve your product by offering txt notifications as a feature!  I was happy to find BitTicker because it made a good product great--it notified me on my Charge HR when I would get a txt--a feature glaringly missing in the software....If you're reading this and recently lost this ability too, please add to this thread!   Very dissapointed.....

Best Answer

@dvdscr wrote:

i use BitTicker on my phone, until this morning it worked well.

now with the new FW i see that i get no notification from the phone.

BitTicker seems to be working fine, but i think fitbit FW was changed so now it's not supporting BitTicker anymore.Smiley Frustrated

The FW isn't what breaks it, it is the app update. I am still on v102 but updated my app before remembering that it could break BitTicker. I saw the notice from the app developer this morning. I really hope Fitbit adds this feature ASAP!

★Kit N.★
Versa 3, Versa (retired), Charge 2 (retired), Charge HR (retired) | Pixel 3a XL
Best Answer

Also disappointed that this was blocked by way of the app update.  Can't fathom why Fitbit would do this.  Please remove the block of this very useful function.

Best Answer
This has disappointed me too. Message notifications were really handy. Why block it /:-)
Best Answer

I've moved this discussion to its own thread, since it is not related to the recent firmware update.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MatthewFitbit  I see you changed the title to "bitTicker integration not working"

What I'm trying to understand (and I'm admittedly frustrated), is whether it's "not working" or rather "functionality that has been disabled by fitbit."  Is this a bug that needs to be fixed, or is this a design decision?  The app developer's site seems to indicate the latter...

Best Answer
Why don't we get any response from FitBit here, or anywhere else? Did you do this on purpose or by accident? Do you really want to cede your business to the smart phones?
Best Answer

@McG_32  Currently the Blaze, Surge and Alta are the only Fitbit products with SMS notifications. As far as I know (or at least since I bought mine in December) the Charge HR has never advertised having text notifications, only call notifications, even with V102.

Best Answer

@kalimm That's true from the standpoint of their standard ad materials, but fitbit directly, in-app supported third-party notification extensions (for lack of a better word); it didn't take a lot of research/effort to find that SMS notifications were supported through bitTicker.  If bitTicker was a root-required hack, that would be a different story.

All that said, I'm still waiting to hear if this is a bug or an intentional design decision.  If it's the latter, I'd like to understand why they would choose to remove functionality.

Best Answer

Fitbit dod not take into consideration, or test bittick before releasing their firmware, it the same as when Android released v6.0, and this release caised Fi5bi5 issies.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well this sucks.

Fitbit is really trying to dissapoint their userbase. Sorry to say this is the last Fitibit product I will ever own

Best Answer
Still waiting for any reply from Fitbit as to whether this was intentional or an unforseen consequence of the update.....,
Best Answer

Only thing we can really do is bring attention to this. If it truly is just an app issue, I might have to install the older APK. There's no reason to half remove this feature.

The Charge HR is a phenominal product. Given that the third party integration is still there, I'm wondering if this is a case of forgetting to uncomment code.

Moderator edit: content 

Best Answer
@XBrav That worked as a good stop-gap. I downloaded the previous app version and disabled auto-updates for it in the play store. It's working again.

Now we'll just have to wait and see if fitbit wants to give us an update on the bug vs. intentional question.
Best Answer
Which version did you load?
Best Answer
0 Votes