Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS not working on my Versa

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi all,

I’ve had my Versa since almost the day of launch, and have seen a fair share of compatibility quirks with both iOS and Android handsets. 

Currently using an iPhone SE (2020) with iOS 13.5. Everything seems to work well apart from the Connected GPS, which will only stay connected if I have the Fitbit app open and in focus on the phone. If I switch to another app or lock the screen whilst out on a run, the Versa just shows “Connecting ...” and doesn’t have any GPS tracking for that section. 

Just as I got on the community area, I saw a pop up appear stating there were known issues with iOS 13.5 but can’t find anything detailing if this is known. 

I’m tempted to bin my Versa and go back to my Forerunner 225, but really like the sleep tracking and message notifications. 

Does anyone else have this issue or a link to show this is a known issue for Fitbit, or should I give up hope for now?

Stay safe all,

Nick

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I had EXACTLY the same and ues all permissions given on fitbit and IOS.

after lots of trying a gave up and moved back to completely factory reset and re-install. This solved for me .

nothing to do with IOS 13.5 ( had the issue before that ) and again nothing to do with permissions. It started for me with 2 versa firmware updates back i think ( not sure on the version )

factory reset and re-install in IOS did the trick.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Hello there @norwichnick, welcome to the Community Forums. I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties connecting to GPS with your Versa. Thanks for the details provided in your post and for taking the time in finding the answer to your issue in the forums.

Please note that our main purpose is to avoid negative experiences to our customers, we're always willing to help and provide troubleshooting steps. 

Note: To use connected GPS with your iPhone, make sure that Allow Location Access is set to Always for the Fitbit app. For more information, see: Why isn't GPS working on my Fitbit device?

The issue we've reported in the pink pop-up message is about some customers who update their iPhone to iOS 13.5 and see this error message when they open apps, including the Fitbit app: “This app is no longer shared with you, to use it, you must buy it from the App store." To resolve the issue, we recommend to try uninstalling and reinstalling the Fitbit app.

I'll be around if you need further assistance. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Hi Marre,

Thanks for the reply. 

I’ve already set the Fitbit app to have access to my location “Always”, but it’s almost as if that behaviour isn’t then happening in practice. 

I was hopeful it is a quirk you may be aware of with iOS 13.5 and/or the 2020 iPhone SE. I see there are a few different phones that don’t play nice with Fitbit, but I trust the sheer volume of iPhone users will mean such issues are ironed out with some level of urgency. 

It’s a shame that it’s not working right now, I hope my Versa will once again soon be my “go to” device that simply works. I don’t want to switch watches just to go for a run 😞

Nick

Best Answer

If gps only works when the app is open. Make sure that the Fitbit has permission to run in the background and move the Fitbit app to the background before the phones screen times out. 

Best Answer

I had EXACTLY the same and ues all permissions given on fitbit and IOS.

after lots of trying a gave up and moved back to completely factory reset and re-install. This solved for me .

nothing to do with IOS 13.5 ( had the issue before that ) and again nothing to do with permissions. It started for me with 2 versa firmware updates back i think ( not sure on the version )

factory reset and re-install in IOS did the trick.

Best Answer

Hi Rich,

I have definitely got the settings applied for allowing the app to run in the background, it’s very strange. 

I’ve toggled it off and on again after re-installing the app and resetting the watch. Fingers crossed it behaves tomorrow when I head out!

Nick

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi DGH74,

I’ve reset the watch and re-installed the app plus toggled background app refresh and location services off and back to Always. 

The watch’s firmware is up-to-date so hopefully things will improve. I’m planning on going for a run tomorrow (enthusiasm dependant), fingers crossed the GPS works!

Nick

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just recently purchased fitbit versa 2, for some reason it does not connect to gps until I open the fitbit app on the phone.... the moment I close the app the GPS get disconnected. its very annoying.
Please support to make it work normal without opening Fitbit app.

I use iphone 11 xs max. I have done factory reset on the watch, I have reinstalled the fitbit app again, I have switched on location on Always. I have switch off the phone and restarted.... I have done every possible solutions I can, but unfortunately made no difference. Please help before I return the watch.

Many Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi DGH74,

The results are in. I’ve managed a 30 minute run today with Spotify playing on my phone and Connected GPS remaining active throughout the whole thing. 

I do hope it doesn’t become something that needs to be done regularly. Alas right now, it works. 

Thanks for the simple pointer, perhaps it was doing the re-install with the watch reset at the same time that did the trick rather than just blatting the app. 

All the best,

Nick

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi HasPatel,

It sounds like you have the same problem as me. 

Try doing what has been suggested on this thread. Reset the watch, delete the app from your handset, re-install the app and then go through like a new setup. 

Be sure to check the app has Background Refresh turned on and allow location set to Always. 

Hope that helps, that sorted things for me!

Nick

Best Answer
0 Votes