Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use connected GPS

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am extremely disappointed that the connected GPS feature on my new Versa Lite is not working. I feel this is just marketing and not really a usable function. I have searched the forum and done everything I found here a few times each - resetting, unpairing, removing device from account and adding it again, etc.

It looks like every time I unpair and remove the device from my account, and then add it again and do the whole device setup again, then the Connected GPS seem to be working once, and then it becomes flakey again immediately after that. It keeps on saying "connecting...." and on a hike of 12 km it may or may not connect for half a kilometer or so.

It is unpractical and unacceptable to remove and add the device every time you want to use the Connected GPS!!!

It is not the case that my phone does not find the GPS as google maps and the tracking inside the fitbit app work just fine. The problem lies with the versa connecting to the fitbit  app on the phone for Connected GPS.

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity 

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
I've tested this a few times now and here are my findings:  (Connected GPS on Xiaomi Redme)
1) Make sure notifications is on as this is a non-obvious requirement for Connected GPS.
2) Make sure the fitibit app is excluded from power management on your phone to ensure it keeps on running.
3) Make sure WIFI IS OFF - The bug in fitbit app is that the Connected GPS does NOT work when wifi is on (regardless of whether there is a wifi connection or not) as it only connects sometimes (about 5% of the time in my experience). If you switch wifi off then it is better and usable, connecting 90-95% of the time although it sometimes still disconnects for short periods, but manages to reconnect.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Connected GPS requires a phone to work, if you would like help, we really need to know what phone you have? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Obviously I know that it needs a phone. And as I said in the original post,
it does sometimes connect to the phone's GPS but it is very intermittent
and unstable. I have a Xiaomi Redmi 2.
It seems as if the Connected GPS function does not manage to correctly and
consistently enable the location service of the phone (even if it has the
appropriate permissions), since the location icon does not show when in
fitbit app when the Connected GPS is supposed to work.
--
Lize 

Moderator edit: Removed personal information 

Best Answer

Yes I'm sure that you are aware of what phone, but the different platforms have different fixes for the same issue. 

With android. Do you receive notifications? GPS uses the notification channel? 

If not then let's make sure that power management is disabled for Fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Rich
I have checked on the Versa Lite that notifications is on and also went
through all the app settings and permissions. There was no data usage
restrictions for Fitbit and just one place where "Battery Saver
(recommended)" was selected for Fitbit.
I changed that to "No restrictions" andI rebooted both the phone and the
Versa lite.

After switching off WiFi I got it to connect for Hike and Walk a few times.
I'll keep a watch on this and report back here if it solved the problem.
Lize
Best Answer
0 Votes
I've tested this a few times now and here are my findings:  (Connected GPS on Xiaomi Redme)
1) Make sure notifications is on as this is a non-obvious requirement for Connected GPS.
2) Make sure the fitibit app is excluded from power management on your phone to ensure it keeps on running.
3) Make sure WIFI IS OFF - The bug in fitbit app is that the Connected GPS does NOT work when wifi is on (regardless of whether there is a wifi connection or not) as it only connects sometimes (about 5% of the time in my experience). If you switch wifi off then it is better and usable, connecting 90-95% of the time although it sometimes still disconnects for short periods, but manages to reconnect.
Best Answer

My GPS connected function has worked great for about 5 months for biking.  Now it seems the whole thing has gone haywire.  I am having serious sync/pairing problems. GPS barely works or works for a short time and then quits.  By looking at this board over the last few days there has been something introduced that is causing quite a bit of "connecting" issues.  If they fix this problem I think you will love it.  If they don't, then it will have been a waste of good money. Good luck. I will also try your suggestion but I am on my 3rd reboot of app and watch for the day and it is only noon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you very much!!! I switch off WIFI of my phone, and connect successfully. You save my versa lite.😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

... I use my phones Google maps all the time without a problem. 

But my versa says it has never, in the almost year, that I have had it connected to GPS even though it's got all the proper permissions 

Best Answer
0 Votes