Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Steps count increase while charging Fitbit Versa

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/09

Hi, Versa Fam! 

Thanks so much for your patience while our team continues to investigate and work on this issue. We're still working on this and I hope to have more information for you all very soon. 

As soon as there is a fix in place, I will make sure to announce that here. Please stay tuned and subscribed to this thread for updates. 

Fitbit Update: 7/25

Hey, everyone!

I know many of you are wondering what the status on this bug is and I'm here to reassure you this is still being worked on by our team. For anyone still getting ghost steps on their Versa's, we are definitely working towards a fix. I don't have a timeline for when the fix will be released, so I appreciate everyone's patience for the time being. I recommend if possible, placing your Versa on a different flat surface without any vibrations to prevent the extra steps. 

Fitbit Update: 6/21

Hi, everyone!

Sorry to hear that some of you are accumulating unwanted steps while charging your Versa's. Thank you for taking the time to report this issue here on the forums. Our team is aware of this affecting some of you and is working towards a fix on a future firmware release.

Thanks for your patience for the time being. Smiley Happy

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
602 REPLIES 602

One more detail I forgot to mention.  One night the steps showed up on the graph and one night they didn't.  I don't recall which of those nights it was on the charger.

Best Answer
0 Votes

mine was fine until I updated it this morning then all the sudden I had 54000 steps but if I look at the page where breaks it down into our there's no way it even totals that much in addition to that now it's not even picking up steps and I'm having Bluetooth issues. Mine was working perfectly until the update this morning.Screenshot_20180712-125046.png

Screenshot_20180712-113315.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would also like to know that I did a factory reset uninstalled and reinstalled the app reconnected everything and it still says I have over 54, 000

Best Answer
0 Votes

I recognized that i have the problem also with climbed stairs. One diagramm in the app shows that i climbed 7 floors (which is correct), and the other says i climbed 10 floors.20180710_203014000_iOS.png20180710_203023000_iOS.png

This doesn't happened during charging but i think this is the same as with the steps, because they are not correctly counting, and they didn't show up in the diagramm.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I contacted Fitbit they said it's not the app it's the actual Versa and they are going to send me a new one

Best Answer
0 Votes

Im on my 3rd replacement. Every one I've had counts steps when I'm not moving. I've been told its the firmware. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Firmware sounds most likely. The real question is: can they fix it and, if so, what's the ETA for the fix?

Best Answer

I made the mistake of leaving the fitbit near my radio on the nightstand yesterday. I dig a mile before I woke up lol.

I was wondering if syncing was an issue but I worry that it may not calculate the steps while I'm actually active or I may forget to sync it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine does the same thing. Mine is saying 84,000 steps 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you at least get a badge?  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm experiencing the same issues. Please stop telling us that ambient vibrations are causing this, if that was the case why don't we see that reflecting in the steps chart.

Also it would help if you can clarify if this is a hardware issue vs software bug. I'll return it if it's the former but will hold on if there is an update coming along the way.

Best Answer

Hey guys,

Thanks for keeping us informed about this issue. Please keep an eye on this post for further updates. As mentioned before, your patience while we fix this issue is appreciated.

Keep the stepping up! Robot Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

I work in electrical engineering and I've been wondering that as well, software/firmware vs hardware.  The fact that they are taking so long to come up with a fix makes me nervous.  How these ever made it to production with such a grievous error makes me nervous as well.  I'm not surprised, though.  I've been in the industry a long time and the emphasis has changed from let's get it right to let's get it out as quick as possible and fix problems later.  Anyhow, I returned mine.  I'd rather go without or use an alternative and wait and see if they adequately fix this then be stuck with a $200 plus device with a broken core feature.
@SunsetRunner wrote:

I'm experiencing the same issues. Please stop telling us that ambient vibrations are causing this, if that was the case why don't we see that reflecting in the steps chart.

Also it would help if you can clarify if this is a hardware issue vs software bug. I'll return it if it's the former but will hold on if there is an update coming along the way.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I placed my versa on the charger yesterday morning, worked until 130 am, put it in before bed for sleep tracking.  I woke up to find it had taken 18000 steps while left unsupervised!

Is it an autobot or a decepticon?

Best Answer

Having the same issue.

Counting steps while in the dock on the kitchen table.

No devices near so impossible that some electrical device caused it.

Also the steps are not visible in the app or on the website.

Used a Samsung Fast charger to charge it, will test using a laptop to charge next time to see if charging thru normal usb makes a difference.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How can I stop the extra steps from my versa charging 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm a truck driver and my versa  counts steps while charging can't stop the vibrations. A fix for the programmers to consider is to stop tracking if no pulse

Best Answer

Is there any update on a new firmware release to fix these issues?? It's very frustrating. I have even tried putting it on different surfaces to charge that aren't vibrating and I am still getting ghost steps. I forgot to charge my Fitbit and it died last night. Charged it and powered on with over 4,000 steps!! Being one of the top leading fitness tracker companies, I am sure that Fitbit can come up with a solution for this. it's been too long. This is my third Fitbit and have been super happy up to this point. Fitbit please fix this issue!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any updates?

I try to keep my versa on a different place each night so it doesn't accumulate ghost steps. Yesterday I kept it over a cusion and guys what? My watch shows 68k steps in the morning. Extremely frustrating.

I bought Fitbit because of its industry leading reputation in fitness. Not getting the basics right is terrible customer experience.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried that and it didn't work. I got over 30k steps last night while charging!

Best Answer
0 Votes