Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa counting too many steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Had my Versa for 2 days and it's counting over double the steps I'm walking. Any ideas?

Best Answer
55 REPLIES 55

@LisaH72

So far there have not been offered any solutions to what some are calling "ghost steps".

I have gotten 8k steps when it was charging! 50 while resetting, and a few hundred, while sitting watching the screen in shock.

The standard FitBit moderator answers include don't leave it:

• by a fan
  • by a refrigerator
  • in a car
  • don't drive
  • or anything that may have a vibration that could induce it to multiply steps.

Oddly, for FitBits that aren't counting steps, their answers are basically: you are not swinging your arm enough; go for the goose step baby!

There have been other threads inquiring about a fix, and asking if it is hardware or software.

There is no answer to your question at this time, but here are a few things to try that have worked for some.

Things to try include

1. Reset, and see if that helps
  2. Multiple reset, (Reset 3 times in a row), and see if that helps
  3. Power off, and back on. 

Some of these work for some people, but there is not consensus at this time about which works best, most, or reliably.

Best Answer

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I have been frantically trying to find resolutions on Google to no avail. I had managed to do over 3000 steps this morning just by waking up and driving to work and this was after yesterday of it recording over 20,000 steps which I know was nonsense. Have changed settings to show it's on my dominant arm when reality is on non dominant arm. Have switched off constant sync on my phone and restarted a number of times and it seems to be settling down now so will see what tomorrow brings and whether it does the same thing. I know it's brand new and was only released for sale 3 days ago so there could be some buggy issues. Hopefully they will be fixed soon

Best Answer

How do you turn it off and back on? I woke up this morning and when I took it off the charger it was already at 3000 steps even though I had just woken up. I keep it on the bottom of my nightstand and my fan is on all night but it hasn't done that since I've gotten it which was only Monday. Wondering what's going on and what I can do to fix it.

Best Answer

@Schmeelee

There is an article for turning off devices.

Here is the link.

Versa and Ionic have the same procedure.

Versa App > Settings > Shutdown > Confirm

to turn back on, press any button.

===========================================

(In case others reading this need reset information vs off on, I include that below)

Reset device:

press bottom right button, and single left button till FitBit logo appears. (takes a few moments)

Best Answer

Thank you so much! I'm hoping that works so it doesn't add anymore ghost steps.

Best Answer

@Schmeelee

I hope it works too! 

Sadly the results are varied.

Fit Bit has not come forward with information on the step counting problems (+/-); other than trying to put the blame/responsibility on the customer.

(The fact remains; it is a CORE function of the device, they should be on that like white on rice!)

But..  I digress.

I have been trying to get my new versa (second new versa, the first was a complete lemon) to work, which is why I am still scouring the boards. 

Good luck!

Let me know if it works!

I will by trying it again this evening, when I return from work.

🙂

Best Answer

I'll definitely let you know if it works .i rrestarted it hoping it would take away the ghost steps but that was just a wish .Hopefully when i wake up tomorrow it won't have random steps added to it. Maybe I'll try charging it in a different location. Hoping Fitbit resolved this soon 

Best Answer

Just an update as it's a new day and my Versa seems to be behaving at the moment with only 412 steps so far this morning which seems normal for my getting up and before work pottering. Looks like the resets and turning off the 'always on' phone tracking may have solved it for me but will keep an eye on it 

Best Answer

The same thing is happening to me. I've had my versa 5 days. After taking it off the stand from charging over night, it logged 9k steps. I also noticed while lying in bed it added an additional 1k within a10 min time frame. I'll try the suggestions below, but wanted to make sure fit bit sees that it's multiple users having the issue. 

Best Answer

After doing all the things I did last week, mine seems to be behaving itself now. Hopefully they will work for You but it's a little annoying that it seems to be a generic issue and there's no feedback from Fitbit. I completely understand that it's brand new so there could potentially be issues but it's not acceptable that we are all scratching our heads, trying random things and there is no clear direction from Fitbit 

Best Answer

Mine seems to be working the last few days. I restarted it and turned off the all day syncing option. Hopefully it stays working and Fitbit comes up with an update to resolve the issue. 

Best Answer

Thanks for posting this.  It solved morning "ghost step" while sitting on a table away from any vibrations, fan, etc.

Best Answer

I noticed the screen and dashboard will display one number but if you go to the actually breakdown of the steps it will be a lot less. Sometimes the number in the top left corner is accurate, other times the 15-minute breakdowns added together will not match the top left corner. Very frustrating. 

Best Answer

I've had my Versa for 10 days and the stair count is over counting. I am very suspicious of my high step counts as well. I believe the 2 are related. 

Support has suggested the restarts off-on etc to me as well for stairs with no good effect. But they have now released articles on why stair counts are high. It's a result of a more sensitive altimeter that records weather and wind related barometric pressure changes as false stairs. I suspect this hardware or some combination of this and other sensors and algorithms impact steps as well. I don't think the issues are independent. 

While Fitbut has acknowledged the stairs issue it has not acknowledged the steps. Has anyone heard more than the resets as a reason from the steps errors?

Its also harder for users to see step errors than stair issues unless it's after sleeping. Unless you customize your step mength and complete a known distance,or complete a walk with someone with a competing tracker,  how do you know? 

I suggest everyone record their issues with Support. Fitbit only scans their forums but will fully record complaint data and forward these complaint volumes by type to management for action. 

Best Answer

This is very frustrating. I woke up this morning, not even having worn my Versa to bed, and already had 6000 steps. None of the solutions mentioned worked for me. There must be an answer. I would like to know how to reset this ...otherwise I will return it

Best Answer

So, for a while now this has not been happening and then started back up again Saturday and yesterday. Very frustrating. 

Best Answer

I noticed the same thing! Did you figure it out?

Best Answer
0 Votes

It appears to be an issue with the watch design. No solution from Fitbit yet. Many reasons/excuses.

Geoff

Moderator Edit: Personal Information

Best Answer
Hello!I ended up calling  customer support and they reset my phone...I had to wait until the next morning to see see if the steps reset...which they had. Customer support gave me a case number and said if it kept happening they would send me a new Versa.They also said not to keep in near any vibrations such as on a bedside table with a fan or air conditioner....which I said was ridiculous and definitely a flaw in the design.Hope that helps. I would definitely call customer service if it persists.Good luck!

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer