Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cycling less than 20 minutes not recognized or detected as sport

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I wear the Versa on my left and the Charge2 on my right hand. My cycling in the morning just lasts 12 to 18 minutes. Auto recognisation for Cycling is set to 10 minutes, GPS off, AutoPause off.

If cycling last betweeen 12 and 18 minutes it is either not recognised or detected as "Sport". If it lasts about 20 min. or more it is dedected OK.

Examples:
On 2, 5, 9th (today) July Versa did not detect anything. On 3rd and 5th it detects it as "Sport".
So on 5th I changed the auto rec. for sport from 10 to 15 minutes. Now it does not detect Sport but still no cycling either like today (9.7) dedected by my Charge2.

CHARGE 2

charge_180702.pngcharge_180703.pngcharge_180705.pngcharge_180709.png

VERSA

versa_180703.pngversa_180705.pngversa_settings.png

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes
17 REPLIES 17

That is strange and I dont really know the answer, but I would suggest you restart the Versa several times and see if it is still like that next time you cycle. Restarting usually fixes weird little glitches like that. Let us know how you go 

Restart your tracker

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

During this periode I reset and factory reset the versa ... it did not help .. please forward this to your engineers !

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh bother! I dont have anything else to suggest. Perhaps ask Support (and hope the support person is helpful - you'll probably be asked to do it all again lol). Link in my signature 

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Just noticed the link is missing from your signature, but this is the link @NellyG was talking about. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

Could one of You please try this, as I dont think it is the hardware. I think it is the firmware and should be investigated by your engineers ! (I am a software engineer myself 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

We don't work for Fitbit. So the best way for you to relay this information to the engineers is by using the support link as @NellyG suggested. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

Cycling recognition still not working for trips lasting 11-18min. The recognition for walking on the other side works OK (also for short periodes e.g. 13 min.).

Right now I set all auto rec. to "ignored" except "outdoor cycling" and "walking" (and of course I tried resetting the Versa ;-).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@5ggggg instead of ignoring our suggestions please contact support. They have access to your account and the trackers data. they will be ablrato analyze what is going on. We are just Fitbit users like you and cannot help you more than we have.

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue: I tried the phone support before posting here and got very unqualified answers - no interest in deeper infos - no help either !

And I know that sometimes moderators of this forum pass problems direct to the team. ( e.g. see my post about transferring playlist and mp3 files to the versa)
Further on I think Fitbit is interested to solve issues with its new trackers. So they have their ears in this forum. 

For me beeing a technician I will not invest more time in contacting an unquallified support again, but will be happy to assist here with any further info needed. And if nobody is interested I will return the Versa and keep my Charge2. 
BTW:  Within the last days I tried a lot from ignoring all other auto rec. exercises, to cycling up to 18min. Nothing brings the outdoor cycling I do in the morning to the Versa, but works everytime on my Charge2. The cycling home in the evening which last 22 to 25 minutes works most of the time on both !

Best Answer
0 Votes

12.7. Usually the recognition works on my way home as it lasts more than 20min. Not so yesterday. The cause seems to be that I checked my steps on both trackers quite often.

To do this I had to take one hand from the handlebar and knock on the other trackers display. 

Never the less the Charge2 detected the ride but also was about 7min. short.

13.7. CYCLING RECOGNICED: Today morning I tried to take the hand with the Versa from the handlebar every time I saw bumps on the street. Just to say: I AM RIDING ON A PAVED STREET not of track.
This way the Versa worked and has the correct start time and duration.

The Charge2 sometimes like today already starts 7 min. early when I walk downstairs to my bike.

Conclusion:
The automatic recognition of the Versa seems to interpret bumps as some kind of other exercise. This way it fails most of the time.

Action to be taken by Fitbit:

Please lower the sensivity to bumps which Versa seems to interpret as steps quite often.

For myself I am sad and thinking about returning the Versa and keeping the Charge 2 as it is counting steps in various situations.

Versa

versa_cycling_180713.png

Charge2charge_cycling_180713.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm still amazed that people spend so much for a versa with no intention of using the extra bells and whistles the extra money gets them. 

I really do not expect the auto detect to determine exactly the start and stop time. Auto detect does not give distance. 

Using the manual multisport with the connected GPS will give accurate time, distance, and a map .

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue wrote:

I'm still amazed that people spend so much for a versa with no intention of using the extra bells and whistles the extra money gets them. 

I really do not expect the auto detect to determine exactly the start and stop time. Auto detect does not give distance. 

Using the manual multisport with the connected GPS will give accurate time, distance, and a map .

I agree @Rich_Laue. The extra effort to manually start the exercise is almost zero, but the benefits your gain are great.

- GPS as you mention.

- Live on screen stats

- Better heart rate tracking (greater polling)

I would consider auto detect to just be a backup incase you forget to start the workout manually. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

Dear all, THX for your help and I really understand your points, but pressing buttons would be a step backwards for me wearing a Charge 2. And if I wanted GPS I would never buy a Fitbit which has none built in.

Further on, those many threads complaining about wrong step counts in various situations speak for itself.

I also tried the dominant setting Rich pointed me too (THX for that), but it did not solve the prob. The only thing that helps the Versa to autorecognize is taking the hand from the hadle bar.

But also to say something positive;-)
The new HR tracking sensor is doing a better job, dedecting peaks during sprints !

For me I will wait until one of the next firmware updates and hope that Fitbit improves the treatment of the sensors which obviously is worse compared to the Charge2. 

Best Answer

I'm not sure why one would want to by the Versa for the auto track capability, all the currently sold tracker. Have this feature, including the Charge 2 .

For me the versa is an upgrade to the Charge 2, since it also is able to go in the water and has more events that can be monitored. 

If I want GPS I would get the Ionoc. that does have built in GPS .

Best Answer

Fitbit does not seem to have any interest in investigating this problem ... Man Sad

Best Answer
0 Votes

@5ggggg has anybody brought this to fitbits attention? 

Best Answer

THX for this helpful input ... 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes