Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I add Steps using the API

ANSWERED

Hello,

I was wondering if I could update/add steps from an app to the fitbit device/website. I would like to do this because the app I am working on converts other activities into steps and I would like to be able to integrate this with fitbit.

For example you may not take many steps while working out but if you are doing moderate weight lifting you could burn calories which would be roughly equal to be like 87 steps per minute for how long you do that moderate workout for.

I tried looking through the documentation but I could not see anyway to do this. Also if there is the ability to add steps if the device itself syncs after steps are added does it overwrite it those steps? This is also why i would rather upate the steps on the device so that when it syncs it will update the number on the fitbit dashboard without any collision.

Thanks,

Brett Rose

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Will someone please reply to this thread? I would really like to know if this is possible. I can't find it anywhere in the documentation. Someone at fitbit? I see you responding to other threads. Please answer my question.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Take a look at:

https://dev.fitbit.com/docs/activity/#activity-logging

Moderator edit: Updated link

Best Answer

I understand that you can log an activity when you have forgotten your fitbit and want to get "credit" for the steps, but this does not literally add steps-- not the number of steps anyway. 

Is there a way to actually add the steps? so my step count is accurate? 

My step count is not accurate if I just log a "walking" activity, for example. 

Please advise! 

thanks! 

Lane

Best Answer

Could someone respond if logging an activity will also add the steps count as well?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@tridnguyen If the activity you log has steps, then yeah it will add to the step count.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

hi @AndrewFitbit

Could you please elaborate this?

I was trying to either correct or enter via API elliptical workout. It has distance and steps, however it does not seem to work. distanceUnit cannot be steps apparently, but I could specify it in kilometers. Which does not make any difference though as it was displayed incorrectly or not displayed at all. So were steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Georgiy

Would you please share the API call you're executing to either create or edit your elliptical workout?  Are you getting an error message returned when execute it?  If not, what behavior are you seeing?

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @GordonFitbit

I have created separate thread with more details.

Please have a look here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Web-API-Development/Adding-elliptical-activity-with-a-distance-via-w...

Best Answer
0 Votes