Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I develop and educate myself on Fitbit dev without having the final target app/website ready?

ANSWERED

I understand there is no sandbox development, so one have to work on real data and accounts when developing. When registering for an application to get API client credentials, I am to enter the website where users can download or use the application. What do you do (or enter) if this website is not ready at this point?

I'm working at a big consultancy firm, and will later pitch in ideas. But want experience with the API before doing so. Also, my approach towards fitbit development was planned to be personal at first, but the application asks for Organization and Organization website. Is this really required? Not sure if it makes sense for me to include the organization in early research or at a POC stage.

Can I get hands-on experience with the api without having all plans laid out up front?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Bengalack

What do you do (or enter) if this website is not ready at this point? 

While you are in sandbox development mode you can just enter http://localhost/ as your web site or callback urls.

Also, my approach towards fitbit development was planned to be personal at first, but the application asks for Organization and Organization website. Is this really required? Not sure if it makes sense for me to include the organization in early research or at a POC stage.

You can specify any organization name or web address while you are in development mode. How ever when your integration is ready and is in production mode it would be very beneficial for you to specify your real organization name and your website name. The reason is that when you ask users to share their Fitbit data, they will be redirected to Fitbit Api Authorization page where we(Fitbi API) will display a window explaining to user about whom he/she give access to. If user sees some fake organization and fake website, it is very unlikely that they'll decide to share their data with your app.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

@Bengalack

What do you do (or enter) if this website is not ready at this point? 

While you are in sandbox development mode you can just enter http://localhost/ as your web site or callback urls.

Also, my approach towards fitbit development was planned to be personal at first, but the application asks for Organization and Organization website. Is this really required? Not sure if it makes sense for me to include the organization in early research or at a POC stage.

You can specify any organization name or web address while you are in development mode. How ever when your integration is ready and is in production mode it would be very beneficial for you to specify your real organization name and your website name. The reason is that when you ask users to share their Fitbit data, they will be redirected to Fitbit Api Authorization page where we(Fitbi API) will display a window explaining to user about whom he/she give access to. If user sees some fake organization and fake website, it is very unlikely that they'll decide to share their data with your app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great, thanks, this clears up all my questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes