Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determine which is manually logged and which is device logged from Push Notification

ANSWERED

Hi,

I am using the subscriptions API to retrieve steps, sleep for a user. However the step data returned by Fitbit returns a total of device logged activities and manually logged activities and looks something like this

{"activities":[{"activityId":90013,"activityParentId":90013,"activityParentName":"Walk","calories":249,"description":"Walking less than 2 mph, strolling very slowly","distance":1.2,"duration":1800000,"hasStartTime":true,"isFavorite":false,"lastModified":"2017-05-08T06:26:58.000Z","logId":7493293910,"name":"Walk","startDate":"2017-05-08","startTime":"13:56","steps":4995},{"activityId":90013,"activityParentId":90013,"activityParentName":"Walk","calories":285,"description":"Walking less than 2 mph, strolling very slowly","distance":4.199999,"duration":1800000,"hasStartTime":true,"isFavorite":false,"lastModified":"2017-05-08T06:31:42.000Z","logId":7493270821,"name":"Walk","startDate":"2017-05-08","startTime":"14:01","steps":5683}],"goals":{"activeMinutes":30,"caloriesOut":2833,"distance":8.05,"floors":10,"steps":10000},"summary":{"activeScore":-1,"activityCalories":531,"caloriesBMR":1704,"caloriesOut":2181,"distances":[{"activity":"Walk","distance":1.2},{"activity":"Walk","distance":4.199999},{"activity":"total","distance":5.83},{"activity":"tracker","distance":1.43},{"activity":"loggedActivities","distance":5.399999},{"activity":"veryActive","distance":4.2},{"activity":"moderatelyActive","distance":0},{"activity":"lightlyActive","distance":1.63},{"activity":"sedentaryActive","distance":0}],"elevation":27.43,"fairlyActiveMinutes":0,"floors":9,"lightlyActiveMinutes":51,"marginalCalories":384,"sedentaryMinutes":912,"steps":7893,"veryActiveMinutes":30}}

I want to find out from this response whether the user has manually added a activity or it was tracked by device. How do I go about doing that ? I dont see any parameter in the activities array which specifies its a manually added activity log. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Pushparaj The activities returned from the Get Daily Activity Summary endpoint are manually logged activities, but might be easier if you use the Get Activity Logs List endpoint instead. There's a logType (e.g. manual) that will tell you what type of activity it is, along with other details.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

@Pushparaj The activities returned from the Get Daily Activity Summary endpoint are manually logged activities, but might be easier if you use the Get Activity Logs List endpoint instead. There's a logType (e.g. manual) that will tell you what type of activity it is, along with other details.

What motivates you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

So andrew can I assume that all the activities returned in Get Daily Activity Summary endpoint are manually logged activities

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am asking because we had one user who had steps added using MyFitnessPal and the user claimed it was not manually added but tracked using her device. Check this screenshot.Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 9.29.57 AM.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Pushparaj wrote:

So andrew can I assume that all the activities returned in Get Daily Activity Summary endpoint are manually logged activities

@Pushparaj Yes.

To address your other point:

Sure, the user may not have manually logged the activity themselves (they could have recorded it through another app), but when MyFitnessPal sends the activity to Fitbit via the API, it's considered a manually logged activity, and will show up as such on Fitbit's side.

Both activities shown in the screenshot were sent from MFP, which means a Fitbit device didn't track those activities.

What motivates you?

Best Answer
0 Votes