Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference Between /activity and /activity/tracker Resource Paths

ANSWERED

I am curious about the difference between the /activity/* and /activity/tracker/* resource paths. I read the suggested article at https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Web-API-Development/what-does-activities-steps-get/td-p/717210, but was wondering if you could clarify.

Example: calories

1. When you say that the activity/tracker/calories time series does not include manually logged calories, does that mean it does include calories from activities that are automatically determined by the device? For example, when my Versa2 knows that I took a run.

2. If that is true, does the activity/tracker/calories include (and therefore duplicate) calories that are reported via /activities/date?

Put another way, is there and overlap, and if so, how would I avoid duplication between data from Daily Activity Summary and Activity Time Series requests? Is it a case of we should use one or the other, but not both?

Thanks,

Jeff Humphry

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Jeff_New_Ocean 

The steps, calories, etc. recorded for a specific exercise are including in the daily total and would be reflected with the /activities/* and /activities/tracker/* endpoints.  To see the number of steps that were not part of a specific activities, you would subtract the recorded exercise steps from the Daily Activity Summary totals.  If activity data is manually entered or comes from the 3rd party application, that data might not appear in the "tracker" data.   To confirm the source of the exercise data, you'll need to execute the Get Activity Log List endpoint, https://dev.fitbit.com/build/reference/web-api/activity/#get-activity-logs-list, and look at the element names "logType" and "manualValuesSpecified".

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Jeff_New_Ocean 

The data returned from /activity/ includes all of the data recorded by the device, manually entered or from 3rd party applications and we record the source of that data.  The data returned from /activity/tracker pulls out that subset of data that was recorded by the device only.  There should not be any duplication of data.  If there is overlapping data, we do reconcile it before storing.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Gordon for the clarification.

Understand the difference now between /activities/* and activities/tracker/* series. Thanks! 

One more question if you please: Are the data points (steps, calories, ...) that are returned for discreet activities from the Daily Activity Summary endpoint (/activities/date) also included in the data returned from the Activity Time Series endpoints (/activities/* and activities/tracker/*). 

That is, if I only wanted steps that were not part of discreet activities, would I need to subtract steps (for the day) returned by /activities/date from those returned by /activities/steps or activities/tracker/steps?

Thanks,

Jeff

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Jeff_New_Ocean 

The steps, calories, etc. recorded for a specific exercise are including in the daily total and would be reflected with the /activities/* and /activities/tracker/* endpoints.  To see the number of steps that were not part of a specific activities, you would subtract the recorded exercise steps from the Daily Activity Summary totals.  If activity data is manually entered or comes from the 3rd party application, that data might not appear in the "tracker" data.   To confirm the source of the exercise data, you'll need to execute the Get Activity Log List endpoint, https://dev.fitbit.com/build/reference/web-api/activity/#get-activity-logs-list, and look at the element names "logType" and "manualValuesSpecified".

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Gordon. Very helpful.

Best Answer
0 Votes