Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart Rate, GPS, and OAuth 2.0 Update

We know that many of you are eager to start using the heart rate and location data from the latest Fitbit trackers. These will be released when our OAuth 2.0 beta is available.

Q. What type of heart rate data will be available via the API?
Heart rate data takes several forms:

• resting heart rate (one value per day)
  • a daily summary that includes a sum of minutes spent and calories burned in each heart rate zone
  • a second-level time series (Partner API feature)

Q. What type of GPS data will be available via the API?
GPS location data is recorded only when a user tracks an outdoor exercise activity. GPS and heart rate data during an exercise activity will be available in the form of a TCX file.

Q. When will these features be released?
These features are still be developed and tested. Beta access will be available on Thursday, May 7, 2015. It's here! See the announcement

We will update this page when we have more information. We know that you’re as excited about these features as we are and we can’t wait to share them with you when they’re ready.

Q. But I want it now! Can you give me another update??? TELL ME!
We will update this post when we have more information to share. If it’s not updated, we don’t have anything to share yet. Smiley Happy

Q. Can I get early access?
No, the public beta will be the earliest access available.

However, TCX export is available today on the activity details page. It contains GPS and heart rate data (when available) for the duration of the activity.

export-tcx.jpg

Best Answer
64 REPLIES 64

@GoldFinch wrote:

That's funny because with Polar Flow you can export exercices with heart-rate data and no GPS info in TCX format.  So obviously it is not a file format limitation, but an implementation decision from the Fitbit developers.

So it CAN be done.

Yes it can, a lot of other vendors support HR without GPS in TCX. I provided some of those details in this thread:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Web-API/TCX-export-without-GPS-data/m-p/786005

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

As a heart patient, when I'm exercising I need to be able to have my Heart Rate continuously displayed so that I can glance at the Fitbit and monitor it. Retrospective Heart Rate information is mildly interesting but too late.

Best Answer
Will you make the Heart Rate data available to other apps like Addapp?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@mtgmesq The API is open, and heart rate data is available.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Awesome! Will send it to Addapp!

--

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes