Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to obtain real-time seating times

ANSWERED

(Machine translation.)

Hello.
I am considering purchasing a FitBit device because I am interested in the API that is in place.

Is it possible to use the API from a PC to get the device wearer to remain seated for more than one hour?
Or is it possible to acquire information that would allow us to make that determination?

Sorry if this has already been answered.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Yogorouza 

The Web API's Get Daily Activity Summary endpoint can provide information about the user's step count, active minutes, etc.  The Activity Intraday data can provide details about how many steps a person takes every period of time.  Keep in mind this data is only available after the user syncs their device with the mobile applications, which can happen automatically every 15 minutes.   I think the points that Gondwana made are also valid and should be taken into consideration.  The Device SDK can provide you with the accelerometer data.   Keep in mind, the Device SDK only supports the Fitbit smart watches while the Web API supports all Fitbit devices.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

It would be difficult and unreliable. You'd probably need to interpret accelerometer data, but that would indicate the movements of the watch rather than the person's body as a whole. I don't think GPS or barometer data would be accurate enough.

You'd also have to write software to do the comms from the watch to the PC.

You'd also need to consider how to stop the wearer from interfering with the watch; eg, taking it off or closing your app.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for answering.

(There is a problem with the accuracy of machine translation, so I'm worried if it's being conveyed correctly.)

I would like to create PC software that periodically obtains how many minutes the wearer has been sitting and encourages exercise.
The specification can also be met by a method that detects whether the user is exercising at regular intervals.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Yogorouza 

The Web API's Get Daily Activity Summary endpoint can provide information about the user's step count, active minutes, etc.  The Activity Intraday data can provide details about how many steps a person takes every period of time.  Keep in mind this data is only available after the user syncs their device with the mobile applications, which can happen automatically every 15 minutes.   I think the points that Gondwana made are also valid and should be taken into consideration.  The Device SDK can provide you with the accelerometer data.   Keep in mind, the Device SDK only supports the Fitbit smart watches while the Web API supports all Fitbit devices.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

I appreciate your answer, thank you.

I was able to get some direction for my research.
It seems that it is not at all impossible, so I will buy the device and try the whole process as soon as possible.

Best Answer
0 Votes