Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implicit grant flow and client secret

ANSWERED

Hi,

I am developing an iOS app that connects to Fitbit and I chosen "Implicit Grant" flow for this (assuming it was the correct choice).

The Fitbit debug tool has generated the following link (removed id and app name): https://www.fitbit.com/oauth2/authorize?response_type=token&client_id=[APP-ID]&redirect_uri=[APP-NAME]%3A%2F%2Foauth-callback&scope=activity&expires_in=604800

What I am uncertain about is the client secret, do I need it when using the implicit grant flow?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @pepejeria,

The client secret is only used in the authorization code grant flow for making an access token request and refresh token request. Refreshing a token requires the use of the client secret, which cannot safely be stored in distributed application code. When the access token expires, users will need to re-authorize your app. The Authorization header must be set to Basic followed by a space, then the Base64 encoded string of your application's client id and secret concatenated with a colon. For example, the Base64 encoded string, Y2xpZW50X2lkOmNsaWVudCBzZWNyZXQ=, is decoded as "client_id:client secret".

Since the Implicit Grant Flow does not use refresh tokens to obtain a new access token, you do not need to use the client secret with this authorization flow.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Hi @pepejeria,

The client secret is only used in the authorization code grant flow for making an access token request and refresh token request. Refreshing a token requires the use of the client secret, which cannot safely be stored in distributed application code. When the access token expires, users will need to re-authorize your app. The Authorization header must be set to Basic followed by a space, then the Base64 encoded string of your application's client id and secret concatenated with a colon. For example, the Base64 encoded string, Y2xpZW50X2lkOmNsaWVudCBzZWNyZXQ=, is decoded as "client_id:client secret".

Since the Implicit Grant Flow does not use refresh tokens to obtain a new access token, you do not need to use the client secret with this authorization flow.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes