Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrate fitbit heart rate devices with my own app

I wish to extract raw data OR use an API to extract information from the device.

How does the whole web api work? Do i connect to fitbit servers?

I wish to connect to the device itself and use the data there is it possible?

Can i use Google Fit API to read the data?

Best Answer
0 Votes
21 REPLIES 21

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I wish to extract raw data OR use an API to extract information from the device.

How does the whole web api work? Do i connect to fitbit servers?

I wish to connect to the device itself and use the data there is it possible?

Can i use Google Fit API to read the data?

Hi there!

Fitbit only provides a Web API to obtain data, which involves connecting to Fitbit servers. There is no API to extract information directly from the device.

For more information, please take a look at our Web API Documentation located at:

https://dev.fitbit.com/docs

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there!

Fitbit only provides a Web API to obtain data, which involves connecting to Fitbit servers ==> that's BAD!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh,

Really Its bad.... Must need to support with third party apps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Akkhigan: There are many third-party apps already using the Web API to obtain this data.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MUC: Why is this bad? The most granular data stored on the device is available via the Web API.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

Actually myassumption is that if the most granular data is storing on device with Fitbit mobile application.

Even the data is available on device the third party applications need to request the Web API,

Also user has already fitbits mobile app, the again thirdparty app in the mobile which is bit more steps for user. 

Anyway get the clarity that there is no option to get the data directly.

Thank you for your comments.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I don't want a Web-APi, i prefer a direct API without Internet access. ___________________________ Dipl.Ing.(univ.) Michael Eder Wagenstätter Strasse 5 83564 Soyen Germany Eder@MUC-InnOvation.de ___________________________
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Akkhigan: To be very clear: Fitbit's own apps do not access time series activity data directly from the device via Bluetooth. Fitbit's own apps use the Web API. It's the same Web API that has been made available to third-party developers. The data granularity seen in Fitbit's apps is the same granularity available to third-party apps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Web API is great. We use it in our telerehabilitation service.

However, now we have some specifics (hart rate at higher frequency, for a few minutes a day, twice a day or so) that would be more convinient to get from mobile phone directly.

I can access Charge HR device, but I don't have specifications on bluetooth services and characteristics etc.

Can we get access to the specs?

Best Answer

yes, I agree. It would be more convinient to get data

@drago_r wrote:

However, now we have some specifics (hart rate at higher frequency, for a few minutes a day, twice a day or so) that would be more convinient to get from mobile phone directly.

I can access Charge HR device, but I don't have specifications on bluetooth services and characteristics etc.

from mobile phone directly.

looking forward to your answer, many thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@drago_r wrote:

Again, the most granular data from the device (second-level heart rate) is available via the Web API. Direct Bluetooth communication is no more convenient in this use case, nor granular.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok, FitBit is a great entertainment site, but I have a serious work to do with patients that needs help and don't have time to play with your site. That is why we need access to data directly. We don't have time to play with FitBit accounts, for tens or hundreeds of patients.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@drago_r: Unfortunately, it sounds like we may not be the right product for your use case.

All of the data is available via the Web API. Your application would be able to download all of the data without using the Fitbit site.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree to drago, data of patients are strictly confidential and should be sent never via the Internet, please always keep privacy in mind! Direct access is more better (done for Polar chest strap and many other producers), parallel sending/getting of data for other cases by wep api would be o.k.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MUC: Fitbit highly values security and privacy. Bluetooth communication and Web API requests are encrypted.

If direct device communication is a requirement, unfortunately, you will need to consider another product.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MUC wrote:

data of patients are strictly confidential and should be sent never via the Internet

Most electronic medical record systems use the Internet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

YES, we do 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, it using IP interface. That's not always Internet but Intranet!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MUC wrote:

No, it using IP interface. That's not always Internet but Intranet!!

Clinics transfer records via the Internet all the time. Except in extraordinary circumstances like the Heartbleed vulnerability in OpenSSL, HTTPS can be trusted as a secure end-to-end connection.

Best Answer
0 Votes