Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Resting Heart Rate & Average Heart Rate

Hello all!

I'm new to the Fitbit API, and I'm struggling with the heart rate side of things.

Firstly, Not all days have a "restingHeartRate" value. For example, requests for yesterday's and today's data both omit a "restingHeartRate" value. Any idea why?

Example URL: https://api.fitbit.com/1/user/MY_USER_ID/activities/heart/date/2018-05-21/1d.json

Secondly, I can't seem to find a way of returning an average heart rate for the whole day. Is this not possible. Via Garmin's Health API, they return Min/Max/Average and I was hoping for the same from Fitbit. Please could somebody point me in the right direction.

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

I have since seen the intraday endpoints.

It looks like by accessing that data, I'd be able to calculate the average, however it appears accessing this requires specific access being granted.

Users of my app either have Garmin devices or Fitbit. Garmin users at the moment can see this data, Fitbit users cannot. Due to it not just being for my own data, the personal API would be no good, so would I need to request access to the intraday data?

I'm still none the wiser on why certain days don't give a "restingHeartRate" value though 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can request Intraday data for non-personal use through technical support by posting your request here: https://dev.fitbit.com/build/reference/web-api/help/

Resting heart rate is based on your resting heart rate recorded while you're asleep or awake.  If neither values are available, or a calculated daily resting heart rate is too high, a resting heart rate will not be generated.  

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

I see this happenning a lot in the data of users recently. What is weird is that fitbit app does show a value for Resting Heart Rate on the same days for which the JSON provides no value. And there are a lot of days with null, entire month for some users. This happens for users who actively wear their fitbit device all day, so would you expect it to happen ? Especially given that the fitbit app shows a value for the Resting Heart Rate

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @mishal153,

Would you please private message me a couple of user ids and the sleep log dates where you are not receiving the resting heart rate data?

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello Gordon. I'm having the same issue. Did you find a resolution for the OP?

Specifically, I'm unsure why on some days the resting heart rate is omitted.

Can you provide some details on what is required before this is sent (minimum number of rates recorded, hours worn, etc..)? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bryanphe,

I'm sorry to hear that you are coming across this issue as well. 

So that I can take a look, can you PM me with the user IDs and dates of when you are not seeing resting heart rate data for?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there an update on this @JohnFitbit ?
I have the same issue, the last 11 days of my resting heart rate data looks like this:

JSON ExportiPhone App

I'm guessing that the iPhone app (and web app, which mostly agrees minus rounding errors) is the more accurate representation of RHR.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @krasoul,

Welcome to the forums!

It looks like your device didn't get a strong HR reading during your sleep on 12/22, 12/28, and 12/29. This may explain why your RHR was not calculated for these particular days. It looks to have been read accordingly in between these dates. 

Have you tried readjusting the bands for a tighter fit?

Best Answer
0 Votes