Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sedentary Time Explanation

ANSWERED

I'm wondering if anyone knows how sedentary time is determined? Will 1440 minutes be imputed for days that the device is not worn or will it only record sedentary time when the device is actually worn?

It seems like some days have a lot of sedentary time but still records a significant number of steps or distance. Would adding the duration of sedentary, lightly active, fairly active, and very active durations be a reasonable calculation of wear time or should I use time in each HR zone?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hey @ChgHR1440, I moved your topic to the API forum.

Using duration in HR zone would probably work for your use case.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hello my friend @ChgHR1440, it's nice to see new members in the Community! Cat Wink

That are really good questions, it really made me think for a while. The sedentary time only is calculated on days in which the tracker is worn. Sedentary/Active time is calculated by movement, and you need to be inactive for 10 consecutive minutes before the period is considered stationary. All of this and more can be found at the help article for Hourly Activity Goals.

About the last question in your post, could you please explain this a little bit more so I can give you a good answer for this.

I'll be around! 

Marlen S. | Community Moderator

What's for breakfast?Check others recipes and share yours!

Best Answer
0 Votes

For me, this specifically, relates to data extracted using the Fitbit API or data export feature.  I get time in each activity zone (sedentary, lightly active, fairly active, and very active).  On days where someone is quite active when I sum the total times in each category it gives me a realistic estimate or the total duration that the Fitbit was actually being used that day.  It appears that on some days with high sedentary time (near or at 1440 minutes indicating 24 hours), but a low number steps (only a couple hundred or less).  It seems unrealistic that the tracker was actually worn the entire day.  Would I be better off using the duration in each HR zone?

Sorry if this was confusing. Thanks for the help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @ChgHR1440, I moved your topic to the API forum.

Using duration in HR zone would probably work for your use case.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

Best Answer
0 Votes