Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subscription types

ANSWERED

Hi there,

I use the Fitbit.Net client for my C# app.

In the Fitbit documentation, there is a list of possible subscription types - from the documentation :

"Fitbit supports the following collection types: activities, foods, sleep, body"

But in the Fitbit.Net client lib, I can subscribe to the following :

"activities, body, foods, meals, sleep, user, weight"

What confuses me, is that the officielt documentation does not have ie. the "weight" subscription, but I can certainly subscribe to it via the Fitbit.Net client, and it starts pushing data to me each time the weigth is changed.

So - could anyone give me an officielt list of subscription types ?

Also, I think I read about a "all" subscription type, but that is not included in th Fitbit.Net client package.

Cheers,

Tony

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi Everyone. So, everyone is mostly correct in everything said so far.

I had to look this up, but if you head on over to the source code where we set subscriptions in Fitbit.NET you should search for this method (as of 2/25/15 it's line 552) in the FitbitClient.cs class:

public ApiSubscription AddSubscription(APICollectionType apiCollectionType, string uniqueSubscriptionId, string subscriberId)

For weight, I specifically mention where we go it from in comments (phew, I certainly would have forgotten)

else if (apiCollectionType == APICollectionType.weight) //untested and the docs don't show it, but the Fitbit4J enum does have this
{
                subscriptionAPIEndpoint = string.Format("/1/user/-/weight/apiSubscriptions/{0}-weight.xml", uniqueSubscriptionId);
}

Looking back at the Fitbit4J library, I think I stuck pretty close to that implementation.

The "All" is the "User" type. It's set here:

else if (apiCollectionType == APICollectionType.user)
{
    subscriptionAPIEndpoint = string.Format("/1/user/-/apiSubscriptions/{0}-user.xml", uniqueSubscriptionId);
}

I don't remember why we did that and not the "all" the way it's listed (basically the exact same URI endpoint, minus the "-user.xml"). Maybe someone at Fitbit HQ can confirm the -user.xml equates to "all" ? I might have gotten this right out of the Fitbit4J implementation rather than the documentation. 

ALL THAT SAID -- we're moving away from this library, will put it in non-maintenance mode, and release a V2 that is

• not dependent on RestSharp (even John Sheehan, who started the project no longer uses it),
  • is Portable Class Library (PCL) compatible,
  • and supports C# 5 async keywords (because really, why do threads need to wait for HTTP, surely you must have something better for them to be doing during that time). 
  • is JSON based as XML is being deprecated (the great JSON/XML war had not yet been won when I first wrote this library)
  • OAuth 2.0 is coming, so we'll have a relevant timepoint for folks to make a big refactor to flip the switch

Take a look on my async-portable branch:

https://github.com/aarondcoleman/Fitbit.NET/tree/async-portable

or Adam's Master branch:

https://github.com/WestDiscGolf/Fitbit.NET

Using Fitbits in Research? Check out Fitabase --www.fitabase.com

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Here is official api subscriptions notifications wiki:

https://wiki.fitbit.com/display/API/Fitbit+Subscriptions+API

you'll find all supported notifications type there.

Ivan Bahdanau
Senior Software Developer at Fitbit
Best Answer
0 Votes

I know, thats where I got the list of possible subscriptions.

But, I better direct my question to the developer of the Fitbit.net library.

Does any of those subscriptions "overlap" each other - i always gets 2 subscriptions, whenever there is happening anything ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

You're more then welcome to direct your question to the developer of Fitbit.NET library, although I don't think Fitbit API forum is right place for it. 

Ivan Bahdanau
Senior Software Developer at Fitbit
Best Answer
0 Votes

@aarondcoleman often hangs around these parts. His excellent library's GitHub project is at https://github.com/aarondcoleman/Fitbit.NET

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Everyone. So, everyone is mostly correct in everything said so far.

I had to look this up, but if you head on over to the source code where we set subscriptions in Fitbit.NET you should search for this method (as of 2/25/15 it's line 552) in the FitbitClient.cs class:

public ApiSubscription AddSubscription(APICollectionType apiCollectionType, string uniqueSubscriptionId, string subscriberId)

For weight, I specifically mention where we go it from in comments (phew, I certainly would have forgotten)

else if (apiCollectionType == APICollectionType.weight) //untested and the docs don't show it, but the Fitbit4J enum does have this
{
                subscriptionAPIEndpoint = string.Format("/1/user/-/weight/apiSubscriptions/{0}-weight.xml", uniqueSubscriptionId);
}

Looking back at the Fitbit4J library, I think I stuck pretty close to that implementation.

The "All" is the "User" type. It's set here:

else if (apiCollectionType == APICollectionType.user)
{
    subscriptionAPIEndpoint = string.Format("/1/user/-/apiSubscriptions/{0}-user.xml", uniqueSubscriptionId);
}

I don't remember why we did that and not the "all" the way it's listed (basically the exact same URI endpoint, minus the "-user.xml"). Maybe someone at Fitbit HQ can confirm the -user.xml equates to "all" ? I might have gotten this right out of the Fitbit4J implementation rather than the documentation. 

ALL THAT SAID -- we're moving away from this library, will put it in non-maintenance mode, and release a V2 that is

• not dependent on RestSharp (even John Sheehan, who started the project no longer uses it),
  • is Portable Class Library (PCL) compatible,
  • and supports C# 5 async keywords (because really, why do threads need to wait for HTTP, surely you must have something better for them to be doing during that time). 
  • is JSON based as XML is being deprecated (the great JSON/XML war had not yet been won when I first wrote this library)
  • OAuth 2.0 is coming, so we'll have a relevant timepoint for folks to make a big refactor to flip the switch

Take a look on my async-portable branch:

https://github.com/aarondcoleman/Fitbit.NET/tree/async-portable

or Adam's Master branch:

https://github.com/WestDiscGolf/Fitbit.NET

Using Fitbits in Research? Check out Fitabase --www.fitabase.com
Best Answer

aron, thanks for clearing that up.

My confusion came from subscribing to "activities" and "user" for the same user, which resulted in double notifications each time.

Now I only subscribe to "user" which is like the "all" I was asking about.

Also thanks for the other links, I will definately check it out.

And hey, thanks for your work on Fitbit.NET - it kickstarted my project 🙂

Best Answer