Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing data from a connected/synced fitbit sense without opening the app

ANSWERED

We are developing an application that uses data from fitbit thru the fitbit API. After the users have authorized and granted access to our app, we are able to get data thru the API as specified. So far, so good. Given the kind of user base that we are targeting, it is difficult for us to expect them to open the fitbit app on their phone every so often. Is there some setting on the app or the phone with which we can arrange for the data from the watch to flow thru to our app (thru subscriptions) whenever there's an update? 

PS: I have already gone thru this thread but it doesn't answer the specific question that I have - https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Web-API-Development/API-to-find-out-when-the-user-last-synced-their-...

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @sachinsdesai ,

Unfortunately, there is not a way for you to collect data directly off any Fitbit device without opening the Fitbit mobile application.   However, here are some suggestions for you.

1. You can provide instructions to the users stating if they leave the Fitbit mobile application running on their mobile device, the data will automatically sync (every 15 minutes).
  2. You can use the Get Device endpoint to find out when the user last synced their device.  If you haven't received data in a certain amount of time, you can send the user a notification, either text, email or through your application, asking them to sync their Fitbit with the mobile application.
  3. Lastly using the Device SDK, you could build a clockface that your users would install.   I "think" you can send a notification directly onto the watch reminding the user to sync their device.   I would suggest you check out the Device SDK forum to see if this is possible.

Best,

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @sachinsdesai ,

Unfortunately, there is not a way for you to collect data directly off any Fitbit device without opening the Fitbit mobile application.   However, here are some suggestions for you.

1. You can provide instructions to the users stating if they leave the Fitbit mobile application running on their mobile device, the data will automatically sync (every 15 minutes).
  2. You can use the Get Device endpoint to find out when the user last synced their device.  If you haven't received data in a certain amount of time, you can send the user a notification, either text, email or through your application, asking them to sync their Fitbit with the mobile application.
  3. Lastly using the Device SDK, you could build a clockface that your users would install.   I "think" you can send a notification directly onto the watch reminding the user to sync their device.   I would suggest you check out the Device SDK forum to see if this is possible.

Best,

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you very much Gordon, This is super useful.
Best Answer
0 Votes