Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using APIs from a microprocessor chip with WEB access

Hi,

I am accomplished in software development so don't have an issue with OAuth or using the APIs.  However, I am also interested in electronics and I am currently thinking through the creation of a device using a microprocessor chip to access the internet and influence it appropriately.  Providing the WebService I intend to use has simple or no security (E.G. a typical weather WebService) I don't envisage any problems.  

However, I would like to represent my Daily Steps using a sequence of LEDs and/or an LCD readout using the fitbit APIs.  Wouldn't it be nice to have a wall mounted indication of your daily steps above the TV to make you feel guilty?

So the question is, because I would request authorisation from the microprocessor there is nowhere for the fitbt authorisation screen to be displayed, no screen, no keyboard, no mouse!!! 

Has anybody else tried to do this sort of thing, if so any tips?  I can think of a couple of long winded ways around this like hooking up a laptop to the microprocessor so a user can grant permission and the codes downloaded to the microprocessor, but I thought I'd ask here first, partly because I'm not sure if an approach like that is both sensible and, more importantly, within the fitbit Ts & Cs.

Thanks in advance

Nerdy Jim
Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

I am accomplished in software development so don't have an issue with OAuth or using the APIs.  However, I am also interested in electronics and I am currently thinking through the creation of a device using a microprocessor chip to access the internet and influence it appropriately.  Providing the WebService I intend to use has simple or no security (E.G. a typical weather WebService) I don't envisage any problems.  

However, I would like to represent my Daily Steps using a sequence of LEDs and/or an LCD readout using the fitbit APIs.  Wouldn't it be nice to have a wall mounted indication of your daily steps above the TV to make you feel guilty?

So the question is, because I would request authorisation from the microprocessor there is nowhere for the fitbt authorisation screen to be displayed, no screen, no keyboard, no mouse!!! 

Has anybody else tried to do this sort of thing, if so any tips?  I can think of a couple of long winded ways around this like hooking up a laptop to the microprocessor so a user can grant permission and the codes downloaded to the microprocessor, but I thought I'd ask here first, partly because I'm not sure if an approach like that is both sensible and, more importantly, within the fitbit Ts & Cs.

all these sorts of device offer at least one way to connect an interface to set them, as you know it.

bluetooth, usb, http by wifi ....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, of course, and as I mentioned, I will probably allow a hookup to a PC/Mac to enable a user to perform the authorisation.  I was more concerned about storing the authorisation codes.  as I'm new to fitbit APIs, and based on your reply, I assume that this approach is OK.

Nerdy Jim
Best Answer
0 Votes