Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watchface stat request for a kind developer

Hello, 

I don't know if this is the place to ask this but if I am in the wrong place please do accept my apologies.

There are many watch faces  but even if many have many stats on display in a permanent fashion none has a countdown of the hourly steps (you know, those 250 steps that you need to take every hour).

If you guys have developed or you plan to develop a watch face would you be so kind and add this stat too please? I am sure that there many that will appreciate it.

Thank you !

P.S. Right now I am using a very nice watch face called "ClearBeam" made by "Sam" with lots of stats... unfortunately I would have liked to be able to contact the developer and ask for an extra feature but there are no means to do that... Fitbit, maybe you can make this possible for the users

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

This is a very good idea. I'll add it to my to-do list.

One problem will be that the clockface will lose count if another app is started, and it won't be able to recover the situation unless connected to a synced mobile device so it can pull data from fitbit's web site. This is because the on-device API only provides info about total steps taken today; unless the clockface is the active app at the time, it can't know when those steps were stepped.

Still, it's worth pursuing.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gondwana wrote:

This is a very good idea. I'll add it to my to-do list.

One problem will be that the clockface will lose count if another app is started, and it won't be able to recover the situation unless connected to a synced mobile device so it can pull data from fitbit's web site. This is because the on-device API only provides info about total steps taken today; unless the clockface is the active app at the time, it can't know when those steps were stepped.

Still, it's worth pursuing.

Thank you for taking interest in my request.

I am not a programmer and I did not know about the limitations... maybe there is a workaround... like maybe remember the total steps before other other apps are started... and subtract the ones you get when the watchface returns to the screen... again, I not a programmer to know the limitations Fitbit imposed and I don't know if that's doable.

To present my case : I need that reminder while I am at work, I have a deskjob and it helps when I look at the time to see how many steps I've taken and how many are left to take... I rarely switch to other apps during the day when I am mostly inactive. Sometimes I am caught up in work and that 1 vibration 10 minutes before the time is up for the hourly 250 steps is not enough... most of the time is too late... Most of the time I just can't get up leave my work and start walking to achieve the goal. It would have been nice that feature to be customisable. 

Maybe an separate app would not be such a bad idea... one that would act like a watch face but have aditional options like vibrating several times a hour to remind you to move if you haven't achieved your goal, set a different amount of steps to take per hour, or have flight of stairs as a goal... The idea being that even if you go everyday to the gym for 2 hours there's are studies that show it isn't enough and sitting still the rest of the day on a chair at the computer or in bad watching tv is not good for your health.

Best Answer
0 Votes