Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August 2015 Web API Changes

1. Heart rate time series will now only include data points when Fitbit believes the device was being worn. This change affects all heart rate data ever captured by a Fitbit device. You might consider re-requesting heart rate data retrieved prior to July 25, 2015.

2. Your application should consider all numerical ids in the Fitbit API to be unsigned 64 bit integers. Many ids will cross the maximum 32 bit integer in the next couple of weeks.

3. OAuth 2.0 requests will be restricted to JSON and TCX formats. XML will no longer be supported with OAuth 2.0 requests starting August 17, 2015.

4. The custom logging endpoints (deprecated in October 2014) will be removed on August 27, 2015.

• API-Get-Heart-Rate (e.g. GET /1/user/-/heart/date/2010-02-21.json, replaced with heart rate time series)
  • API-Log-Heart-Rate (e.g. POST /1/user/-/heart.json)
  • API-Delete-Heart-Rate-Log (e.g. DELETE /1/user/-/heart/123.json)
  • API-Get-Blood-Pressure (e.g. GET /1/user/-/bp/date/2010-02-21.json)
  • API-Log-Blood-Pressure (e.g. POST /1/user/-/bp.json)
  • API-Delete-Blood-Pressure-Log (e.g. DELETE /1/user/-/bp/123.json)
  • API-Get-Glucose (e.g. GET /1/user/-/glucose/date/2010-02-21.json)
  • API-Log-Glucose (e.g. POST /1/user/-/glucose.json)
  • API-Get-Body-Measurements (e.g. GET /1/user/-/body/date/2010-02-21.json)
  • API-Log-Body-Measurements (e.g. POST /1/user/-/body.json)
  • All measurements except fat and weight will be removed from API-Get-Body-Measurements (e.g. GET /1/user/-/body/date/2010-02-21.json) and API-Log-Body-Measurements (e.g. POST /1/user/-/body.json)
Best Answer
0 Votes
32 REPLIES 32

There is no chance to get the activity started on the device?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@freeubi wrote:

There is no chance to get the activity started on the device?

Not yet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JeremiahFitbit Does this mean that the body measurement section of the Fitbit web site will go away, and all historical data "lost" on 8/27? Or does this change just prevent third party apps from accessing the data?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,

All measurements except fat and weight will be removed from API-Get-Body-Measurements (e.g. GET /1/user/-/body/date/2010-02-21.json) and API-Log-Body-Measurements

Can't really tell for sure, does that mean that since 27th of August 3rd party apps will not be ablte to POST weight and BMI data to a Fitbit body profile via /1/user/-/body/log/weight.json ? Or weight will still be allowed, but BMI will be calculated on Fitbit's side?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh oh....I'm confused. I have a fitbit One with no heart rate etc. Does this mean that I won't be affected by the changes or will I need to make changes via script editor?

Best Answer
0 Votes

What's the reason for deprecating XML? It was the easiest to work with compared to JSON (at least I found).  Any time I tried to parse out the JSON I got back it was always a pain in the ass..

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Michael wrote:

@JeremiahFitbit Does this mean that the body measurement section of the Fitbit web site will go away, and all historical data "lost" on 8/27? Or does this change just prevent third party apps from accessing the data?

@Michael: Please see the announcement at https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-com-Dashboard/Old-manual-logging-pages-will-be-retired-on-8-2...

Best Answer
0 Votes

TimeWalker75a wrote:

Can't really tell for sure, does that mean that since 27th of August 3rd party apps will not be ablte to POST weight and BMI data to a Fitbit body profile via /1/user/-/body/log/weight.json ? Or weight will still be allowed, but BMI will be calculated on Fitbit's side?

@TimeWalker75a: BMI will still be available with weight and body fat percentage.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TEvashkevich wrote:

What's the reason for deprecating XML?

@TEvashkevich: Over 95% of requests to the Fitbit API are for JSON. It's faster to parse, is easier to infer type, and is less verbose (which makes it smaller and faster to download).

We announced in October 2014 that all new API endpoints would be JSON only. We're now extending that to make all requests via OAuth 2.0 JSON only in order to phase out XML support.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe I am just missing something, but what do you mean by the OAuth calls are going to switch from XML+JSON to JSON-only? OAuth calls are pretty much URL string driven, aren't they?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@EvanBasalik: If you make an API request using an OAuth 2.0 access token, the Fitbit API will only support a JSON response.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, this functionally means that the XML variants of even the old APIs will no longer work? That's a pretty big breaking change.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Would OAuth 1.0 be decomissioned or still supported after August 27 ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

"Your application should consider all numerical ids in the Fitbit API to be unsigned 64 bit integers. Many ids will cross the maximum 32 bit integer in the next couple of weeks."

Can you please state an example of this in current api ?

Regards,

Aditya

Best Answer
0 Votes

Will Fitbit API still support OAuth 1.0?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I imagine it will be supported for a while yet.

They can't just ask everyone to jump over to API 2 as it would be chaos.

Jeremiah, does everyone who makes the switch to api2 require users to re auth with the app?
See advanced Fitbit statistics and leaderboards at - https://bitstats.net
Best Answer
0 Votes

For pure clarification.

I am using oAuth 1.0 , I am requesting everything as time series in JSON.

This will still work after August 17th ? , it's just I have three live apps and there is simply not enough time to get things through Apple.

Removal of oAuth 1.0 will need alot more notification to get apps updated

Best Answer
0 Votes
Like I said in my post, they won't just turn oAuth 1.0 like that. You have time yet.
See advanced Fitbit statistics and leaderboards at - https://bitstats.net
Best Answer
0 Votes

I would rather hear that from someone at Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes