Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OAuth 1.0a blackout test Mar 14, 3–4 PM PDT

As announced in October 2015, Fitbit will conduct a one hour test on Monday, March 14, 2016 when OAuth 1.0a will be disabled on the Web API. OAuth 1.0a support will be re-enabled after the test until it is permanently disabled on April 12, 2016.

Developers should update their applications to OAuth 2.0 by March 14th and use this test to verify all OAuth 1.0a dependencies have been removed.

The test will be conducted between:

3:00–4:00 PM PDT
6:00–7:00 PM EDT
22:00–23:00 UTC

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

During the blackout test, OAuth 1.0a requests will receive a HTTP 401 response code with the following error:

{
	"errors": [{
		"errorType": "invalid_client",
		"message": "Invalid authorization header format. Visit https://dev.fitbit.com/docs/oauth2 for more information on the Fitbit Web API authorization process."
	}],
	"success": false
}
Best Answer
0 Votes

any guidance on Subscription API? Everything should continue on as-is? Are XML format pubsubs being blacked out?

Using Fitbits in Research? Check out Fitabase --www.fitabase.com
Best Answer
0 Votes

The Subscriptions API will continue to operate normally during the OAuth 1.0a blackout test.

The XML format for Subscriptions API notification requests will continue to be supported for now. We encourage all applications to adopt the JSON body notification format.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is the blackout over? I'm still receiving errors.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BrittanyK Should be over now, let me know if you're still seeing errors.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks! I'm no longer receiving errors. I sent you a message with specific questions related to my application as well.

Best Answer