Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Books/blogs to recommend?

Hi everyone, 

I didn't see a topic like this yet, but if there is, apologies on the duplicative post (also, hope this is the appropriate category to post. If not, mods are free to move it wherever it needs to go). Are there any books or blogs people enjoy reading about fitness, weight loss, fitbit stuff, personal journeys, etc.? I will be traveling on a plane (fairly short ride, like 6ish hours) in about two weeks and wanted some stuff to read during the trip. Or people can feel free to use this topic for general book recomendations as well.

Thanks in advance! 

Proud owner of the Alta and Aria.

Have a book or blog to recommend?
Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

I really enjoyed reading books on weight loss, especially fiction and biographies, while I've been on this journey. Here are some of my favorites...looking forward to hearing what other folks are liking!

...Then Just Stay Fat by Shannon Sorrels (great motivation:))

Hungry: Lessons Learned on the Journey from Fat to Thin by Allen Zadoff (fantastic for emotional eaters)

Food Roles by Michael Pollan (learning from other cultures/generations what works)

Half-Assed: A Weight Loss Memoir by Jennette Fulda (heart-felt memoir with real talk... for a quick example, "If no one knew I had tried, it would be far less embarrassing when I failed.")

Fat Cat by Robin Brande (fun fiction read)

Finished Being Fat by Betsy Schow (especially good for runners)

The End of Dieting by Joel Fuhrman (I just really like his philosophy)

What's have you read so far? What do you recommend? (Great post!)

Best Answer
0 Votes

These are excellent recommendations! Thank you much!! I have not ready any books or blogs yet on subjects like this but I will add to this post if I come across good ones! I am enjoying the following blog which is more yoga related if anyone is interested:  http://rachelbrathen.com/blog/.  She just made a post about participating in a Triathalon which I found interesting and motivating. Anyone else have any books/blogs they would like to recommend to others? 

Best Answer

Hi @Pensive - another great topic you've started here! I have just a couple recommendations. 

I've been following a fitness and lifestyle blogger named Taralynn for the past couple of years. She's very real and very honest - here's her story. Another thing I like to read on flights is magazines, like Women's Health or Shape! These are more on the fun side, but there are still good tidbits of fitness related info in there. 

@RunnersHi thanks for all of those great suggestions, there are some gems in there! Have you heard of Michael Pollan's Netflix documentary called "Cooked"? I just started watching the first episode last night, and I like it - so informative! Our friend @MatthewFitbit actually recommended this one to me, so I figured I would pass the recommendation onto you 🙂 

Best Answer

I love reading this http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/ guy. He tells it how it is, backs it up with research and science and I have learned a lot from him. Hope you had an awesome trip!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I'll be certainly adding some of these books to my queue. Smiley LOL

Unfortunately I fell for the mainstream books and I ended up reading (as far as I can remember) Skinny B!tch - By Rory Freedman and Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss. While I understand their points of view and diet improvements that could be done, demonizing an entire food group (and glorifying another) for the sake of it, is not worth it. It will create even more pressure on a (already demanding) person.

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I recently joined a Facebook group called "Women Over 40 Losing Weight & Living Healthy".  It's been great at keeping me on track and motivated to keep going on this healthy journey.  Her blog is www.fitfoundme.com

Thank you for the book recommendations!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you @CallieM@emili@MyLabAmber, and @HelenaFitbit for your comments and replies! Excellent recommendations! I love reading blogs so I'm always looking for new blogs to discover. Taralynn's blog seems right up my alley (and the other one mentioned is definitely on my list to read next!). Also, I've been wanting reccomendations for magazines so Women's Health and Shape are awesome to hear about. Facebook groups are awesome too and not something I thought about before so I'll definitely look into seeing what's out there. 

Best Answer