Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Zip Continued or Discontinued?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had my new Fitbit Zip a few months now and love it.  I was going to by another one for a relative but found its no longer available on the Fitbit Site.  Please tell me your not discontinuing it.

Best Answer
104 REPLIES 104

yes, reliable for me. But I have an iphone, so can't say whether another
device would work as well. I'm going to guess it would!

Moderator edit: removed personal information

Best Answer
0 Votes

@pattinorthport  consider editing this post so your entire contact information doesn't show. This is a public forum and anyone can view posts. I've notified a moderator to remove it, too.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

thank you, I had no idea.  I was replying from my email rather than in this forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If the zip has been retired, does that mean I cannot get a replacement for the battery opener tool? Surely you still have a few knocking about? I'm desperate for a replacement as mine has broken so I can't open the back of my zip to replace the battery

Best Answer
0 Votes

Use a penny.

I've used it a few times. It works fine.

Best Answer

ZIP user since 4-4-2014.

Have purchased at least 4 ZIPS.

Latest was running funky. 

Went to put my unused backup ZIP in service...

Can't set it up...no setup option for the ZIP!

November 1, 2019 Google is purchasing Fitbit for $2.1 billion.

Goodbye Google, Goodbye Fitbit...I've had enough of your customer service.

Bulza
Best Answer

I am a zip user since 2013. Like others posting in this thread I like the zip and have not found a good substitute. When my last zip stopped working (required a new battery every week, sync issues) I bit the bullet and bought an Inspire with a clip. In my opinion It is a decent but not very good substitute for the zip. The things I don’t like are:

• requires charging (major disadvantage)
  • clip will wear out quickly from frequent removals
  • very small text and digits on the display
  • more expensive than zip

Positive:

• faster and more stable sync (minor advantage)

so I was not thrilled with my new Inspire. However, when I took my zip out of service I left it open to dry out (I suspected moisture as a cause for the battery drainage). After a couple of weeks I put the zip in service again, and it has now been working flawlessly for a couple of weeks. So I happily removed the Inspire from my account.

so that says something, when I paid for a pretty new Inspire, but am happy to switch back to the ol’ zip and let the Inspire rot in a drawer.

Best Answer

Wow "mhult", you took the words out of my mouth...

I wish you posted that a week ago, haha. I bought the "Inspire" to replace my aging Zip and I got very similar reaction and thoughts like you just mentioned in your post.

Here is why I like about the Zip, comparing to the Inspire:

1. Zip has a bigger display of the numbers. I use reading glasses for small prints, but I don't need to use them when I glance at the Zip. That is definitely not the case with the Inspire. The info displayed on the Inspire is too small for me to read, without using my reading glasses.

2. Battery is cheap and only needs to be replaced every few months. No need to take the device out of the clip and charge for 2 hours, every few days (Inspire). This is pretty much the deal breaker for me.

3. The Inspire is made to be worn on the wrist. When I set it up there was no option to set it up as a clip-on device (only: "dominant hand or non dominant hand"). Therefore, the reading is slightly off, as I wore both clipped to my shorts for 3 days and noticed a difference in steps reading.

4. With the Zip, I was able to set the screen to only show what I'd like to see (clock, steps, distance). You can't do this with the Inspire.

Now, (like you "mhult"), I will let the Inspire rot in the drawer or give it away to someone. I'm definitely not comfortable using it, especially, when my Zip still work. It's just annoying when it takes a few tries to sync the Zip to the app.

So in conclusion: Fitbit needs to take care of their loyal Zip owners and just update (improve) the device.

Thanks for reading. Just my two cents.

Best Answer

Thanks for your suggestion, but it doesn't work, the penny damages the plastic battery cover

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry to hear that. It worked for me a few times.

Try to secure the back cover with a packaging tape. I hope this may hold it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes

Best Answer
0 Votes

I hope enough people complain and they bring the zip back.  I have the inspire and don't like it at all.  I hate having to charge something.  At least I could just buy a new battery for my Zip.  I want the Zip back.  🙂

Best Answer

hi joey7, I've found a solution now, a 20p (UK) coin, in a finger of a rubber glove. I'm now up and running. Thanks for your helpful suggestion.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Inspire may work in the pocket, but the fact that it requires charging is a deal breaker for some users.  My dad was a long time user and recently lost his.  He is going to buy a different brand because he is uninterested in charging it regularly.  It is disappointing to see fitbit discontinue their only option that doesn't require charging every week.  I hope they see there is a large user base that places a high value on that feature and return something to their line-up soon! 

Best Answer
You can buy a pocket attachment for this.  The fact I have to charge it is a real turn off.  I hope they rethink this and bring a battery operated option back. 
Best Answer

Since it has been discontinued, How do you sync it?

Moderator edit: all-caps

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sometimes it syncs and sometimes it doesn't...

Unfortunately, that's the reality. It will not sync if your battery is low, so I make sure that the battery is always fresh. Still, sometimes I have to try a few times, or later.

BTW - to sync, I use Windows 10 on my PC and Android 9.0 on my phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WMSN  discontinued means it's no longer being manufactured, but it will still work. I have a friend with a little Zip that she uses daily. It works for her.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes

I still use my Zip.

On its own, the device will give you good readings of your activities.

The problem with the Zip is the syncing. That is the frustrating part.

The fact that it is discontinued is an important factor. If it wasn't discontinued, I'm sure Fitbit would have come up with some kind of firmware update to fix the syncing problem.

Hey Fitbit!!!!! Is anyone listening to your loyal users?...

I'm sure someone from Fitbit is reading these forum discussions. Do something about it!!!

Best Answer
Mine stopped syncing completely.  I couldn't get it to work no matter what.  I even bought another one and couldn't get it to sync either. 
Best Answer
0 Votes