Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to sync with Chromebook?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

April 1 2014

Planning to purchase a Google Chromebook, will Fitbit work with it?

jim

Moderator edit: format. 

Best Answer
83 REPLIES 83

@scotty1955 Thanks for stopping by before you're going to Mexico. That's correct you won't be able to sync your Surge with your Chromebook and I'm afraid to tell you that your HTC (9) isn't a supported device so you won't be able to sync your data with this mobile device. 

Fitbit trackers will save data up to 7 days of detailed information but 1 month of full information. You can check this article and get some advice. 

As an alternative solution maybe you can find someone in Mexico who has a supported device and sync it every week so you won't lose your information. 

Hope this helps. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well, at least this fitbit rep gave customers some useful info in this
reply. Now it remains for the company to catch on that, in today's
competitive tech environment, it is NOT enough to INFORM, or even to
SATISFY customers: If you want to keep them, your products and services
should go beyond SATISFY to AMAZE!
Fitbit has a long way to go on that road.
==============================================================

"The most common misconception about communication is that it has taken
place."
*Anonymous*
Best Answer
Hello Silvia;

Re; Chromebook, Fitbit and HTC 9 android phone problems

I think I may have a solution to this dilemma. You do not need to have the app downloaded to
Chromebook as long as you have it on your Android phone which you can easily get from Google apps.

Since Chromebook, Fitbit Surge (the one I have) and the android phone all work on wifi, information
is transmitted from the Fitbit device to the phone. You then go to Fitbit.comon the Chromebook (ensuringthe Chromebook is on wifi) and the phone will update the dashboard by wifi.

I just tried and it works. I am sure it will work with any phone that can download the app and has wifi
capability. Hope this works for all concerned.

Scotty1955
Best Answer
0 Votes

@scotty1955 Thank you so much for the procedure that you've posted above. It seems weird to me because you don't need both devices to sync your tracker. I mean, if you have a supported device   you can sync your tracker without using a computer. 

Fitbit trackers will sync information to your Dashboard by using internet connection and Dongle or if you're using a mobile device, it will use internet connection and Bluetooth to sync.

Best Answer
0 Votes
That’s correct, however the main reason I posted the note was because so many
users had mentioned that there was no app for Chromebook. The method I indicated
doesn’t need an app for Chromebook but you can still use Chromebook with Fitbit.

Cheers……..Scotty1955
Best Answer
0 Votes

@scotty1955 Thanks for the information Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

It would be really nice if FitBit would make an app to support syncing of my fitbit device. I gave up on Windows OS and strictly use my Acer Chromebook now.  I had no idea that I would not be able to sync my info. Please Fitbit, you have many users and there are a lot of people getting away from Windows OS for many reasons & strictly using Chromebooks now. I would suggest it's time to make an app for us. Thanks.

Best Answer

@lisalways It's nice to see new faces around! Thanks for taking the time to share your suggestion about creating an app. I'll make sure to pass your feedback Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have noticed that my Fitbit Surge can be "found" by the google chrome book, too bad it can't just sync up to the chrome book you know? Even with or without using the "Fitbit dongle." 

feel free to ignore my last post, i see that people have already asked the same questions as I.

Thank you again

Leland

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

@USAAirman A warm welcome to the Community! It's so great to have you have you. As mentioned before currently it's not possible to sync your tracker directly to your Chromebook. However, you can vote for this idea because those suggestions are viewed directly by our engineers and developers and the best of this is that people can vote for them. 

Thank you for your understanding Robot Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why the big fuss about this? I am, and have been, a huge Chromebook user for some time.  I just log into the FitBit site and look at the dashboard.   I don't need to sync it, my phone, or my Nexus 7, does that.  

I have no idea why you would want to sync it with the ChromeBook unless of course you have no smartphone or tablet which I don't get the impression is true from the posts I read.

Best Answer

I think that would be a good idea too, the Chromebooks do have Bluetooth.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey I fingured out a way to use the fitbit with the google chromebook

@Duckie wrote:

April 1 2014

Planning to purchase a Google Chromebook, will Fitbit work with it?

jim

How to get an accont

Go to fit.com and it should have a button that says "sign up for a free acount" and you can then just sync it so you can check your steps and everything

How to sync the fit bit flex

all u have to do is enable your bluetooth and when you enable it click on it and it should say "Flex" click on it and it with be able to 

Best Answer
0 Votes

When you login to your fitbit account on a chromebook, I believe it only shows the data updates that have been sent via the fitbit bluetooth app on your phone. It is not updating via the chromebook bluetooth, since fitbit has thusfar refused to make their hardware and software compatible with chromebooks.

Best Answer

@jtpryan A fair question. The reason I'm interested is because my (and several of my friends') Fitbit routinely "forgets" how to synch with my iPhone 6 and Fitbit then suggests that I synch it with a computer instead. My computer is a chromebook.

Best Answer

The need is there, I can assure you - we don't all have the additonal technology - I don't and my computer has died.  I have no way to sync! very frustrating and disappointing, that's why the fuss.  Also because of travelling, taking Chromebook.  

i have done what you say, enabled bluetooth, Charge HR comes up but it does not sync.  Disappointed.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Sadly there is no synch capability for Chromebook, will be interesting what FitBit will do as Android merges with Chromebook in the not too distant future.

As someone else above said, FitBit's synching with phones is extremely dodgy, and Fitbit recommends synching with laptop/desktop when synch is a problem.

I have had a FitBit of one type or another over the past four years.  I have seen little to no improvement in either mobile OS, there is so much missing from the mobile apps, you are forced to go to a desktop browser. I wouldn't hold my breath for FitBit offering Chromebook support.

My wife won a FitBit recently and it had so many problems with charging which I just determined was a defective charge USB cable from the factory. A $3.00 aftermarket replacement off of Amazon fixed that problem, but she uses a Chromebook.  She has an MotoX Android phone, but synching with that is as dodgy as it is with my Nexus 6.  So she's given up and is offering the FitBit to the first coworker to claim it.

Looks to me that FitBit has little to no software expertise, and with our recent charge cable problem, is also falling down on the HW side too.

Best Answer

Thank God i have an IPAD i almost forgot ! whoa.. i didnt do all this hard work for nothing i need that sync !

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone and thank you for joining @MajicalFit. Also thank you for sharing your feedback with us @Kevin_Brown.

Thank you for your feedback about the compatibility of the Chromebook with the Fitbit trackers. As any other mobile device it require to be tested to make sure it will support all the features Fitbit offers. This has been requested by several users in our Feature Suggestions. Perhaps you are interested in share your votes and comments to make more popular this idea: Add Chromebook as a supported device.

Our product team looks forward to reading and incorporating your suggestions into future versions of Fitbit trackers and apps.

See you around and stay awesome fellows.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

there is a way to get a Chromebook to use android apps, it is a setting and you can download google play store and download the fitbit app. i haven't tried, but i know it's possible 

Best Answer