Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate step count using iOS and Android

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When I sync my zip to the app it adds 500-1000 steps.  I have tried deleting/adding back my zip. I have deleted/redownloaded the app. I have restarted my devices. I use a Samsung Galaxy 8 and an ipad. I have used 3 different zips. (I even got a new zip yesterday and the issue persists). This has been occuring for about 2 months.  How can I fix this so my step sync is accurate?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Welcome to the Forums  @IndyBoiler! Thanks for sharing your experience with your Zip and the Fitbit app for Android and iOS. I appreciate all the troubleshooting you performed before posting. 

Factors such as tracker placement, and stride length can all affect the number of steps recorded. For more information about this you can check out the help article How accurate are Fitbit devices? 

Also, if after taking these factors into account you still think your tracker is significantly undercounting or overcounting steps, please try a step test:

1. Put your wrist-based tracker on your wrist or put your clip-on tracker on your hip or torso.
  2. Walk 100 steps, making sure to count a step each time one of your feet hits the ground.
  3. Pause, then check your tracker to see your step count.

If your tracker counted less than 100 steps or more than 100, please let me know and we'll see if we can investigate further.

Also, if you are using MobileTrack and your tracker at the same time keep in mind that we recommend using MobileTrack only when you forget your Fitbit device at home.

Keep me posted with the outcome! 🙂 

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer
The step count is accurate on my zip. The issue occurs when I sync to the
app (in iOS and android) it adds 500-1000 steps each time I sync. I stand
still while I am syncing. If my current step count is under 5000 it adds
roughly 500 steps. If my current step count is over 5000 it adds roughly
1000 steps. This is a syncing issue with the app. There is not an issue
with accuracy of my zip.

I sync 1-2 times per day. This make my weekly step count inaccurate by at
least 7000 steps.

I rarely use MobileTrack. I have used it 3 times in the last 12 months.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome back @IndyBoiler! Thanks for sharing your experience with your Fitbit Zip. To further assist you, I've created a Support case on your behalf. I'm confident that Support can help you to determine if the discrepancy comes from the app or tracker.

You should receive an email from Customer Support at the email you used to register with the Community forums.

Keep me posted if you have any other question.

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer
0 Votes