Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps and miles not correct

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I went in on my main acct and reset my stride length and my zip will not reset! I have taken the battery out and restarted my iPhone. Nothing seems to work.. help please!! Very frustrated
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi there @GeoffreyGib.: I can't believe I'm loosing my sense of humor. I'm sorry for taking too serious your previous post. Robot LOL

The correct way to measure your Stride length is to walk in a pre-measure distance at least 20 steps and the total distance is divided by the number of steps. The result will give your correct Stride measurement without worrying about which part of your foot to take as reference.

However I found pretty interesting your question, so I investigated more about this. Actually the Stride length is took from the back of the heels of your feet, based on this other method to measure your stride length:

• Place one pen on the floor as your starting line.
  • Hold the other pen in your hand.
  • Place both of your heels so they are touching your starting line (your pen) and walk 10 steps,
  • Bring your feet together on the 10th step and place the second pen behind your heels.
  • Step away and grab your tape measure. Measure the distance between the two pens.
  • Using your calculator divide the distance by 10. That figure is your stride length

So answering your questions, you can see with this method, the measurement is took from the starting point which is the back of the heels and finished again on the back of both heels.

As an additional note, note that if you update the stride length information it wont affect previous recordings, so it will only apply for the next steps recordings.

Keep me posted if you need more help or you have more questions.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Hi there @ghauff, good to see you around in our Community. Note that your distance will depend on the amount of steps since this is multiply by your stride length and it wont match a pre-measured distance or to the information of a GPS.

I would like to know more information about this issue. Is your distance and your steps not correct for certain activities or is just not accurate in your overall numbers? Are you using a third party app? Or are you using any GPS feature from the Fitbit app along with your Zip?

To reset your stride length and running stride length, you need to remove these information from your personal settings, save and sync your tracker. Once is synced the information will be reset and you can re-enter your measurements and sync again to apply the changes.

Let me know more and I'll be here if you have more questions.

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes
A related question: my Zip gives 10,000 steps as equal to 2.4 miles while a colleague (who shall remain nameless but whom I suspect of cheating!) shows that his 10,000 equates to 4.7 miles! How can this happen? Can Fitbit monitor him, expel him?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @GeoffreyGib, welcome aboard to our Community. I'm sorry this is happening. Unfortunately we don't have access to user's account since these information is private and personal. So we cannot offer you too much help from that side.

Now about your distance, I suggest to enter your own stride length on your Fitbit Dashboard, as I believe your distance is too low for 10,000 steps in my opinion and with the experience I have with Fitbit.

I'm assuming this by comparing your amount of steps mentioned before with my example from below. I achieve a few days ago 12,500 steps which equals to 5.67 miles. Pretty close to your friend's numbers. 

Example of distance.png

To update this information, you can review the post from @Collin1000 that will guide you through the necessary steps to enter your personal Stride length.

Hope this helps. Keep me updated how it goes and if your distance improves.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi
Thanks for your helpful response! Actually, I was only kidding about the ‘expel” suggestion that I’m sorry that you may have taken seriously.
One last question: is the correct measurement of stride from front toes to the back heal, or to the back toes? I’m not sure and it obviously makes a difference.
Love my Zip.
Geoffrey Gibson
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @GeoffreyGib.: I can't believe I'm loosing my sense of humor. I'm sorry for taking too serious your previous post. Robot LOL

The correct way to measure your Stride length is to walk in a pre-measure distance at least 20 steps and the total distance is divided by the number of steps. The result will give your correct Stride measurement without worrying about which part of your foot to take as reference.

However I found pretty interesting your question, so I investigated more about this. Actually the Stride length is took from the back of the heels of your feet, based on this other method to measure your stride length:

• Place one pen on the floor as your starting line.
  • Hold the other pen in your hand.
  • Place both of your heels so they are touching your starting line (your pen) and walk 10 steps,
  • Bring your feet together on the 10th step and place the second pen behind your heels.
  • Step away and grab your tape measure. Measure the distance between the two pens.
  • Using your calculator divide the distance by 10. That figure is your stride length

So answering your questions, you can see with this method, the measurement is took from the starting point which is the back of the heels and finished again on the back of both heels.

As an additional note, note that if you update the stride length information it wont affect previous recordings, so it will only apply for the next steps recordings.

Keep me posted if you need more help or you have more questions.

Best Answer

Hi Roberto

Thanks. That was terrific advice and I'll take it.

Geoffrey

Best Answer
0 Votes