Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps goal

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit has set a default of 10,000 steps per day as a goal.  I'm wondering if that 10,000 is for all age groups.  I'm in good health, pretty physically fit, and am physically active.  I go for a fast pace walk for a half hour each day, exercise regularly, am a league bowler, and play hockey on weekends.  But I never come close to the 10,000 steps (and skating doesn't seem to register the steps very accurately).  So what would be considered a reasonable step goal for me?  I'm 72 years old, 6 feet 1, and weigh 183lbs.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Thanks for stopping by @Rangerfan! Fitbit trackers have a finely tuned algorithm for step counting. The algorithm determines whether a motion's size is large enough by setting a threshold. If the motion and its subsequent acceleration measurement meet the threshold, the motion will be counted as a step. If the threshold is not met, the motion won’t be counted as a step.

It's possible for the algorithm to undercount (not meet the required acceleration threshold). Examples here include walking on a very soft surface such as a plush carpet. Also keep in mind that if you are manually logging your activities, the step and calorie data override the data automatically detected by your tracker during the same time period. This ensures that your steps are not counted twice as long as the manually logged activity has the correct start time and duration.

I hope this helps, keep me posted! 😉 

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer
0 Votes