Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip and Alta show different steps

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am wearing both Zip and Alta.  Right now Zip shows 4517 steps for today and Alta shows 8389 steps.  I like the looks of those Alta steps, but why such a difference.  On other days I've noticed a difference in amount of steps, but this time the difference is a whole lot!  Any suggestions on what's going on?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Great to see you on the Forums. Woman Happy

Thanks for reaching out the Community to confirm what is going on with your trackers. Fitbit devices have a finely tuned algorithm for step counting. The algorithm is designed to look for intensity and motion patterns that are most indicative of people walking and running.  

When working at a desk, cooking, or doing other arm movements, a device on your wrist can pick up some extra steps if it thinks you're walking. Many of these situations such as working or cooking do include a few steps in-between stationary periods so the device tries to give you credit for those steps. In contrast with your Fitbit Zip, you wear it on your torso, that must be why this is happening.

For the vast majority of customers, the amount of stray steps accumulated is negligible when compared to the entire day. In your case we need to check what activities you're doing daily, so you can decide which tracker is best for you. For a more technical explanation, see How does my Fitbit device count steps? 

I hope this helps with this inquiries. Keep me posted if you need anything else. Robot Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Great to see you on the Forums. Woman Happy

Thanks for reaching out the Community to confirm what is going on with your trackers. Fitbit devices have a finely tuned algorithm for step counting. The algorithm is designed to look for intensity and motion patterns that are most indicative of people walking and running.  

When working at a desk, cooking, or doing other arm movements, a device on your wrist can pick up some extra steps if it thinks you're walking. Many of these situations such as working or cooking do include a few steps in-between stationary periods so the device tries to give you credit for those steps. In contrast with your Fitbit Zip, you wear it on your torso, that must be why this is happening.

For the vast majority of customers, the amount of stray steps accumulated is negligible when compared to the entire day. In your case we need to check what activities you're doing daily, so you can decide which tracker is best for you. For a more technical explanation, see How does my Fitbit device count steps? 

I hope this helps with this inquiries. Keep me posted if you need anything else. Robot Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I appreciate your reply.  However, by the end of the day yesterday (after I posted my first message), or rather just before bedtime, my Zip fitbit (which I wore on the waistband of jeans) recorded about 8,000 (roughly) steps and the Alta (which I wear on my wrist) recorded over 13,000 steps.  I've never had that many steps.  My activity around the home is pretty much the same every day; some days I get my walks in, some days I don't.  This difference in recorded steps was pretty darned strange to me.  I'm wondering if somehow the two fitbits get synced somehow.  I'm going to continue to monitor my situation and see what happens. 

Best Answer

Hi @jomello36, thanks for getting back. Those are a lot of steps for that day. You can also double check the accuracy of your Fitbit trackers, following the accuracy test steps, so we can verify how is this working. Robot Happy

1. Put your tracker on your wrist or torso (Alta or Zip.)
2. Walk 100 steps, making sure to count a step each time one of your feet hits the ground.
3. Pause, then check your tracker to see your step count.

If your tracker counted less than 100 steps or more than 100, please let us know and we'll see if we can investigate further. Sometimes, when you start walking you may notice that your steps may not update on your tracker right away. After about 10-15 continuous steps, you'll notice the steps catch up and start updating in real-time with each step you take.

Also check this information on the website about Accuracy.

Give it a try and let me know how this works for you! Woman Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'll try to get this done this week...100 steps, etc.   Thanks for your reply.

Best Answer

Hi @jomello36! You're welcome, let me know how it goes and feel free to come back at any time; we try to take care of all the members of our family. Heart

I dont' know if you're familiar with our Discussions board, there is a really good chance for you to like it. In case that you haven't do so, check it out! You might be interested in these topics: Marathon Training or How do you break out of your sedentary lifestyle?

Keep stepping around in the Forums! 

Best Answer
0 Votes