Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip battery door not opening

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My fitbit zip battery back will not open.  I have used the tool that comes with the Fitbit zip and a quarter to try to open it.  It will not open.  I have enlisted the help of my daughter and son in law, fitbit owners as well, who say it is unusually tight, and they can't open it either.  The only person who has ever been able to open it, are the employees of RadioShack (where I purchased my new battery from).

Has anyone else encountered this?  Any ideas to get it to work?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
50 REPLIES 50

yes, it is very, very difficult and after four months, the little pieces are broken from the cover as I tried to put it back - even using the tool. I have now selotaped the cover and put it back into the case, it still works, but that's not the point.

I have now written to Fitbit and asked for a replacement back to be sent as I am in training for a marathon and need to be able to use it with confidence again.

Not a good design at all for the cover, hopefully they will improve it for the next version - they will if enough people complain!!

Best Answer

Do you mean the battery cover?  Not sure how else it could be screwed on securely to be water tight.  Do you have a heart rate monitor?  A much better investment for a serious marathoner and just try to change the battery in one of those!

Fitbit Zip

If you find your answer, be sure to mark it as a solution!

Best Answer

can not get the battery cover off
I have waited so long to get this i am beyond upset.
Only one hand and i must hire someone to come iunsert a BATTERY
AH OFF NOW DO I REMOVE THE PAPER IN THERE?

Best Answer

I had the Zip and lost the battery cover.  I contacted customer service about purchasing a new cover.  they said that they don't sell them and that maybe if they could find an extra one, they would send it.  Really!!  I bought a new Flex.  Still haven't gotten a battery cover.  How hard can that be???

Best Answer
rcpeaches
I contacted customer services and as you found out they do not have a draw full of covers, as they need. I don't remember exactly what happened but a new fit bit arrived in the mail I thought that was a bit over the top but there was apparently no charge. Then I got a bill for £16 for the customs duty. Fitbit said that had been a mistake but could I pay it and send the proof of payment, well after a few more threatening emails from the delivery company I paid and fit bit did reimburse most of it less another small error in exchange rates. Bit of a saga but it ended reasonably well. I don't use it much these days as Santa gave me a basic TomTom which has gps. Good luck.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Just wondering if you ever got your Fitbit cover off. I purchased mine in May 2015 & at the end of Oct had to replace the battery. I bought the battery at Radio Shack and the employee couldn't open the back with a nickel (wow! that's really tight, he said). At home, I've tried to open it with the Fitbit tool -- still no luck. Don't know what to do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's great to see you here in the Community @Sandwich, welcome here!

Really weird let me say, but thanks for letting me know you've tried with other things Smiley Very Happy. My best suggestion would be to contact Support directly. They'll be more than glad to give you a hand on this, when contacting them don't forget to mention what you tried in order to open the door of your Zip.

Good luck darling! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes
Fitbit has sent me two covers but they still don't fit. Must have been a design change. What a waste!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes
They must have changed because mine fitted no problems at all thank goodness.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for stopping by @rcpeaches @ronh51 Smiley Very Happy, hope you're doing really great today!

Did Support send you the clips? I mean, going back to your original post I was seeing that the main issue was the battery door, wasn't it?

Great news @rcpeaches Woman Very Happy, I'm glad to hear that everything is working fine for you darling! Hope you two have a nice start of the week! 

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Don't bother calling support!  I just wasted 30 minutes talking to "Jose" and him speaking with his manager only to be told...

1) you may need someone to help you (which is sexist)

2) we've never heard of this issue before

3) I have one in my hand now and am able to open it no problem

4) that's not under warranty

5) It only cost $59.99 so you can get another one.

WTH?  I am so very upset about these responses. I hope someone contacts me from their company so I can get some answers. 

Moderator edit: personal information

Best Answer

Hey @Twilkison, welcome to the Fitbit Community Smiley Very Happy! I'm very sorry to hear the inconveniences you've been having. I've reached you via private message, catch you there! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Having the same problem getting the battery cover off. . And agree---you shouldn't need a special tool.riduculous!
Best Answer
0 Votes

have you tried a 20p coin

....................lisa x
Best Answer
0 Votes

Have you tried what @scotsbabe2016 suggested?

I'm sorry about the problems you experience with the design of the battery door on your Fitbit Zip. The best place to make your voice heard is the Ideas board on our community which our product development teams consult regularly to ensure we're delivering on what our customers need and want. Please take a moment to visit and give us your feedback. 

I've found the request "Battery compartment door - design change" created by another user. If you think that this is similar of what you want, yYIf you find that a similar suggestion has already been made by another member of the community, you can vote for their idea and add your comments. Our product team looks forward to reading and incorporating your suggestions into future versions of Fitbit trackers and apps.

Anything else, I'm here to help @cmb0305 Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

On the principle of using hot water to open jars, I heated my new Fitbit with a hairdryer for about 30 seconds to enable insertion of its first battery.  The back unlocked fine. Before replacing, I thoroughly cleaned the edges of the body and battery door with rubbing alcohol and allowed it to dry completely.  Guess I'll see if that worked when I need to replace the battery in future.

Best Answer

I too could not open the battery door so i ran it under hot water then used a sharp knife and cleaned around the door the ut came off no problem.

Best Answer

With or without the tool the door will not open.  I am now going to throw out 2 Zips, Fitbit is no help. Why buy another one of their products. They sure do not care for their customers. There are others out there.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fit bit cover will not open either and I'm fed up with having this issue every time I change the battery! I've had to change the battery several times since I've had the zip, which in itself is not an issue, but I've had issues with the back cover being so difficult to remove every time and each time it's more difficult. I've cleaned around the cover to be its clean when putting it back and here we are again at this annoying crossroads. This time is even more difficult. I'll try the hot water trick first and think twice before purchasing yet another battery, but I WILL NOT buy another fit bit - ever. I'm going back to the little cheapies - from what I'm reading "service" is of no service. How can I say it best? sayonara, adios, au revoir, addio ... goodbye fit bit. Take a walk!

Best Answer