Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip in the washing machine

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I accidentally put my Fitbit Zip through a washing machine cycle. It is showing a display but seriously under records my steps. Has anyone done this and had their Fitbit recover ? Any advice ? Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Nice to see you here @GettinFreshAir! To ensure that is working correctly, please restart it. Also, please check that is communicating with Fitbit by trying these syncing tips

I hope this helps, keep me posted! 😉 

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer

I did take the battery out - wanted to see if there was any moisture in the device - doesn't seem to be.

It's on the actual Zip display that it's under-recording steps - so not to do with communicating ? That's my understanding. It records the steps as I walk - not dependant on e.g. being close to a phone. I have Fitbit software on my computer & that's all I've ever used & update when I synch with dongle - but the steps are already showing on the device. & this is what has stopped working properly. Have I understood how it works ? Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thinking about it. At first it recorded steps fine. Then one day (with loads of walking) I had it on back to front & that's the first time it recorded way too low - 960 instead 13,000+. And it has never worked since then. I can't see how having it on back to front would make a difference. Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your reply @GettinFreshAir! Sometimes your Zip may display incorrect data because is not communicating with Fitbit. It needs to sync to show the correct data, using your personal settings. 

Please confirm if you have followed the tips to sync in my previous post

Keep me posted! 😉 

Best Answer

Is this true with Zip ? In the past I've been away from home for nearly a week without my laptop - which is the only place I have the Fitbit software & never had a problem with the steps showing correctly on the Zip display (prior to washing machine). 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome back @GettinFreshAir! This is normal behavior. A daily sync is recommended but not required. Most Fitbit trackers record detailed minute-by-minute data for seven days. However, your tracker will be deleting some information to make room for more. This might be the reason why it displayed the incorrect time. 

I hope this helps to clarify, keep me posted 😉 

Best Answer

OK. I give up. Nothing you're saying seems to relate to what I'm saying or asking. I'm not thick so not sure why I'm becoming less wise rather than more with this conversation. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Zip went through the wash and dryer and came out smiling with 7,000 steps. I was joking about it with my running group. 

Best Answer