Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip tracking steps when driving

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My fitbit Zip records steps when I drive to work. My drive is one hour each way. When I check the Dashboard, my Fitbit Zip has recorded between 1000 and 1500 steps while I am sitting behind the wheel driving.

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject for Clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

I called customer service. They tried to help. The told me to post the hours I was driving as "Driving" and the zip would subtract it from my total. It did not. I am still having the same problem I did not have this problem with my first Fitbit Zip.

Best Answer

@JohnW12 Welcome to the Fitbit family! I moved your post to the Zip Board as there are more chances for you to receive an answer to your inquiry here.

The inner sensor inside your Zip may track steps when you drive as per the movement. This happens mostly when you drive on bumpy roads. The best thing to do is to log an activity as "driving" (check @Rich_Laue's post) on the exact time in which you got the extra steps, just as customer support informed you. 

Did you logged the driving activity at the exact time in which you got the extra steps? Have you experienced this again?

Also, please perform a restart on your Zip. That should certainly help you out.

Try that out and let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's wasn't a problem with bumpy roads. I drive a BMW X5 and about 95% of my travel is on IH-55, IH-12 and IH-10. Smooth riding SUV on smooth riding roads.

I carefully monitored my drive time and recorded it to the minute. The FitBit Zip continued to record drive time as walking, but did not subtract the drive time I logged in.. I fly quite a bit for my company. The FItBit did not record steps during my time in the air.

In the end, the FitBit was replaced.by the company since it appears it was defective..My new FitBIt Zip is working fine. Thanks for your efforts. I hope my experience will help others.

Best Answer

@JohnW12 Thanks for your reply! So, it was a defective device. That's unfortunate, but I'm glad Fitbit was able to replace it and tat the one you have now is working properly. Customer support is awesome.

Also, thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'm pretty sure this will help other users who may be experiencing the same kind of trouble.

Also, take a look at the Discussions Board as you will find a lot of interesting things there. Feel free to post on any thread you want. If you are looking for Fitbit friends to compete with on challenges, check this thread to add some! 

See you around! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine did the same thing on a 2 1/2 hour drive.  Told me I walked 40miles!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kahlimarie Welcome to the Fitbit family! Was it a bumpy road? That usually happens when the car is moving a lot. The sensor inside your Zip will think you are walking or doing activity.

To remove those extra steps, and therefore the distance, check these delete steps that @Rich_Laue posted. This should certainly help you out.

Try that out and let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

No Most of my travel in Louisiana is on IH-12, IH-55 and IH-10. In Texas I
mostly travel on I-610, IH-45, Grand Parkway and Beltway. All are smooth
roads.

Moderator edit: removed personal information

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for sharing your experience @JohnW12 and I'm also glad you were able to get a replacement from customer support. 

Feel free to post again if you need any more help! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes