Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip won't software update

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The zip is synced to my phone, but the app says it needs to software update-when attempted, it states update failed. Any help? Just got it this afternoon

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Hi @dimikaiv it's great to see new faces around! Don't worry let me give you a hand on this. First of all perform a restart of your Zip by taking out the battery for 10 seconds and put it back in. Then try to update the firmware again, you can try either on the Android app or on the computer. 

Let me know it it works! Have a great weekend. Woman LOL 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have removed the battery and restarted the zip, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app on the android phone, I have restarted the phone, I have turned the bluetooth off and back on. When i attempt the "tracker update" I recieve an Update incomplete message on the app. How do I attempt to update the tracker via a laptop?

Best Answer

Hello @dimikaiv, thanks for stopping by! I appreciate you have taken the time to update your tracker via phone. Since that doesn't work, it's time to use your computer to update your Fitbit by doing the following:

Do not attempt to remove (unpair) your tracker from your account as a troubleshooting measure during a slow update. 

1. Ensure that your tracker is near your computer and that your wireless sync dongle is plugged in.
  2. Unless you installed Fitbit Connect for the first time recently, verify that you're using the latest version:
    1. Click the Fitbit Connect icon located near the date and time on your computer.
      User-added image

If you cannot find the icon, you may need to reinstall Fitbit Connect from http://www.fitbit.com/setup.

2. Click Open Main Menu...
    3. Click Troubleshooting.
    4. Below the Fitbit Connect number, click Check for updates.
  3. Go back to the main menu and click Check for device update.
  4. When prompted, log in to your Fitbit account. Fitbit Connect will sync your tracker and then look for a firmware update. If an update is found, Fitbit Connect will display a progress bar until the update finishes. If your tracker has a screen, you'll also see a progress bar there.
  5. Keep your tracker close to the computer during the update, which may take several minutes. When the update is done you'll see a confirmation message and your tracker will restart. You're all set.

Let me know if it works! Smiley Wink 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am having the same issue and have lost my wireless dongle. So what can I do?
Best Answer

Hey hey hey @Sweetycbs, it is very nice to see new members around! Smiley LOL That is not a problem, if you have a compatible device, you can use it to update your tracker. Smiley Wink If you have questions about how to do that, I suggest you to take a look of the article "How do I update my tracker" which has instructions to do that. 

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have more questions. Smiley Happy 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @@HeydyFitbit,

This worked fine me with the same problem as @dimikaiv had with their zip fit it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey hey hey @SunsetRunner, it is cool to see new members again! Robot LOL Thanks for letting me know that the tips that I previously suggested, worked pretty well for you. If you have further questions, let me know. I'll be glad to help you out. 😉 

Have a nice day! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

i get the message on my mac unknown error has occurred 

the software will not update on my mac or my andorid phone, what now? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @tmsmith, I hope you are doin' fine! Let me ask you this, which phone are you using to update the software of your Fitbit Zip? Is it a compatible device? In the meantime, please follow the troubleshooting in this help article: Why can't I update my Fitbit device? 

Let me know how it goes! 

Best Answer
0 Votes