Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip won't sync

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I posted this just a few minutes ago as a reply to another thread, and it mysteriously disappeared. For the moment, I will attribute it to a fat-finger error on my part while editing the post, rather then indulge in conspiratorial rants. Man Tongue

My brand-new Zip won't sync unless I remove and re-install the battery. A Google search on "fitbit zip won't sync" returns 148,000 results. 

I -- and apparently hundreds, if not thousands, of others -- have followed all the recommended steps:

• Uninstall and reinstall app
  • Turn bluetooth offf and back on
  • Make sure there are no interfering devices
  • Make sure the battery contacts actually contact the batter (but if that were a problem, the darn thing wouldn't work AT ALL, no?)
  • Make sure app software is latest version
  • Make sure Zip firmware is latest version
  • Make sure "Alway connected" is enabled
  • Make sure "Keep-Alive Widget" is enabled
  • Remove and re-install the battery

Restarting, by removing and re-installing the battery, is the ONLY thing that will get the Zip to sync. And then the NEXT time you try to sync, you're back to Square Zero -- do not pass GO, do not collect $200, do not get your Zip sync'ed. You want to sync, then pop the battery out and back in.

This is clearly not a viable option, yet seems to be the only solution ever offered for YEARS. Is there really no better answer?

Experimenting further with the Android app and the desktop app, it very much looks like the problem is very simple to identify: the Zip is not returning to "discoverable" status on Bluetooth after synching. When you restart (i.e., initialize) the device, it makes itself discoverable; after synching, it "forgets" to do that again.

How hard can this possibly be to fix?

Best Answer
27 REPLIES 27

Hi @jwnewman, nice to see you around! Thanks for checking all those threads and for all the steps that you've try until now.

I'd like to know what model of phone you're using, you can see the list of compatible devices with Fitbit here: Which phones and tablets can I use with my Fitbit watch or tracker? If this is in this list I think that it'd be best to request a case for this. 

Keep me posted. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Google Pixel 3 XL, Android 9. Definitely on the list.Thanks.

(psssst . . . .) You kind of mangled my posts when combining them, putting things out of sequence. Dang persnickety text editors!! I took the liberty of fixing it.

Best Answer

Hi again @jwnewman, thanks for fixing the sequence of the text. Sorry for that! You did an excellent job doing this research, thanks again.

I think that it's best if you talk directly with our team, as they have special tools to see what's going on with your Zip. I've requested to our support team to create a case on your behalf. You should soon receive an email from customer support at the email you used to register with the Community Forums.

Please keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

My Zip would sync to my Samsung Galaxy S9+ until a couple of days ago.  Now the only way to get it to sync is to remove the battery....every time I want to sync.  I have deleted the app and reinstalled it - to no avail.  Turned the bluetooth off and then on again.

PRETTY FRUSTRATING.

Best Answer

I have this exact problem too after recent update. Tried all the suggested 'reboot' options, but Zip will not sync with Galaxy S9. Very disillusioned with Fitbit. Have just ordered another tracker from Samsung. Given up on Fitbit to ever deliver a reliable product.

Best Answer

I, like thousands of others, have tried EVERYTHING to sync with my Galaxy S9. The only thing that works is taking out the battery or using my husband's iPhone, neither of which are acceptable long term solutions. It seems like this happened after the recent Android update a couple weeks ago, is this being worked on by FitBit or Android?? 

Best Answer

Same issue with my Samsung S9+.  Fitbit Zip worked until a few weeks ago with syncing.  Now the only solution is to remove the battery every time to get syncing to work.  This needs a better solution.

Best Answer

I can't get my fitbit zip to sync or update to the lastest software on my samsung s8 at all

Best Answer

I am having exact same problem. Zip won't sync to Samsung S10. I had same problem when I had S8. Have to take out battery to get it to pair/sync. But that only lasts a few days. Then, it may randomly sync a small amount of steps on a day and quit. I've talked to customer service before. We spend time going through all the same steps to get it finally working, but it doesn't last. Getting very discouraged.

Best Answer
0 Votes

After the latest andoid update/newest fitbit update combo, neither myself or my husband's fitbit zips will sync to our Samsung Galaxy s8 phones.  Was fine before that.  I like everyone else has done:

• Uninstall and reinstall app
  • Turn bluetooth offf and back on
  • Make sure there are no interfering devices
  • Make sure app software is latest version
  • Make sure Zip firmware is latest version
  • Make sure "Always connected" is enabled
  • Make sure "Keep-Alive Widget" is enabled
  • Remove and re-install the battery

I also tried

• Removed zip, uninstall app, reinstall app, and then add it back as a new zip.  Synched once.
  • Delete cache, try to sync.  No luck
  • Go back to an earlier version of the fitbit app. Still no luck.

I emailed from the app store, but no one ever replied.  I can sync with no issue on my laptop, so it is the app or something that was updated in the latest android version that fitbit has not picked up on yet...  I'm frustrated.

Best Answer

I'm having the same issue (Galaxy S9+). I was told by customer service to try another device.   Now my Samsung Tablet just did the update and I'm back to square one.  Beyond frustrated.  They know a whole block of customers are having issues,  won't acknowledge it, and don't seem to want to fox it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue. Galaxy Note 8 - Android 9.  Subscribing to this thread just in case anyone happens to fix this.  By the way, does anyone from Fitbit read this or are we just griping amongst ourselves?

Best Answer

I worked with an assistant via Chat Saturday and got my Fitbit back up and running after six weeks of not syncing.  The next day (Sunday) it didn't sync.  And it is not syncing again today.  Would truly like some assistance that fixes this problem without having to go through all those steps again.

Best Answer
0 Votes
As you can no longer purchase on the website, it appears they have given up on them and await the same response from us.  The inspire has a clip option for those of us who are not fans of watches so you can use it either way.  Although they do not appear to want to say it, I believe the zip had died.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

I doubt that I'll replace it.  This one came as part of taking a wellness class at the local hospital, so I got it for free.  Might just have to learn to live with my phone in my pocket!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'll replace it... with a Garmin. No more FitBit for me.
Best Answer

I have been working with fitbit and they are telling me it is the android version 9 and they shld be fixing it. I am in a StepBet and if my zip does not sync I will end up losing money. Grr. 

Best Answer

Since it wasn't syncing on my phone OR my tablet OR my desktop computer, I just decided to uninstall it.  No sense wasting valuable space on an app that doesn't work.

Best Answer

Cshenk, the bit that they've left out is that they've been aware of this problem for over 10 months and haven't been able to fix it. During this time, they've decided to discontinue the zip and are now apparently telling people that there will be no future updates for it.

Don't hold your breath for a fix...

Best Answer