Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wrong steps after battery change

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I changed my Zip's battery today (I was at about 2000 steps) and immediately got the step count I had for yesterday ( 17,261.) It did  not inclue the 200 steps I had for today; it just rolled over yesterday's number. I saw the other posts on this topic and tried all things (restarting, deleting data by using 'driving') and nothing works. I'm hoping the step count reverts to zero at midnight but I'd like to correct it for today.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, @TANDOTAN, if your Zip's battery was dead, and it did not "see" midnight, it will not reset your steps for the new day.  Restarting or logging driving won't help, and you are stuck with one day bad data.  But you can be confident that with the new battery, as long as the time and date on your Zip are correct, you will start fresh tomorrow.  

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Hi, @TANDOTAN, if your Zip's battery was dead, and it did not "see" midnight, it will not reset your steps for the new day.  Restarting or logging driving won't help, and you are stuck with one day bad data.  But you can be confident that with the new battery, as long as the time and date on your Zip are correct, you will start fresh tomorrow.  

Best Answer

If my Zip didn't "see" midnight, then why did my miles reset to 0 while my steps showed yesterday's? That makes no sense.

Best Answer
0 Votes

With all Fitbit devices the steps all reset to 0 at midnight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @SunsetRunner , I am not sure what you mean about your miles.  But the battery needs to be charged and the clock operating normally at midnight, otherwise the Fitbit won’t receive the cue to reset to zero.  If it doesn’t get that cue, then it won’t reset, and the previuos days will carry over.

Basically the Fitbit will “think” it is one very long day, and all the steps from both days will be rolled into one, because the reset cue was never received.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Zip battery does not need to be charged.  The Zip automatically resets itself at midnight as do all trackers.  If you have a Blaze, Versa, etc..they don’t need to be charged before midnight in order for the data to roll over, it happens automatically. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok. So I have a ZIP. It does not charge, I have to change the battery. If you don’t know what I mean by miles, you must not be familiar with the ability to track your daily distance by telling the device, through the app, how long your stride length is. I was replying to the previous suggestion that the Zip with a low battery does not “see”midnight and therefore the steps did not reset. The thing is, my daily mileage/distance reset to 0 at midnight, meaning that the Zip MUST have noticed midnight to some degree. So why did my steps not reset, yet my daily distance did? That makes no sense, and I think there should be some way to tell the device through the app to manually reset to 0 steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am very familiar with the Zip and how it tracks as I’ve had the same one for several years.  The battery lasts several months and doesn’t need to be charged.  My daily data automatically resets itself at midnight.  I always make sure my Zip is synced daily before midnight via my IPhone.  If the battery is low why not replace with a new one. If you are having issues with it maybe you may want to consider restarting your Zip by taking out the battery for a couple of minutes and reset it.  Your data won’t be lost 

My stride which is set up via the app has nothing to do with my ability to sync my Zip.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Julia_G  I am curious what you mean by charging your Zip...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry, I should have said changing battery.  But the principle is the same with all zFitbits : they need to be powered up one way or another at midnight or they won’t get the signal to reset.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problem with my Fitbit Zip.

The miles reset to zero some time during the night, but the steps do not.

First thing in the morning, my Fitbit Zip shows zero miles but shows the same number of steps as when I went to bed the night before.

My Fitbit dashboard shows that activity does not start till 9:30 AM or later despite the fact that I get up every morning between 6:15 and 7 AM.

The device does show the correct local time. Something is out of sync. Is there a way to reset my device?

I have tried to figure this out by looking at my dashboard, but this remains a mystery.

Any ideas out there?

Another interesting fact, the time below this typing field is exactly three hours off ("Your content was last auto-saved at 6:36" - the actual time is 9:36). The time on my computer is correct.

Best Answer
0 Votes