Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add the option to track steps while biking.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Feel like I am beating a dead horse but I want to get Steps when cycling.  I understand that I may only get Half but what is the easiest most accurate way to do this?  I ride with the Charge HR 2 on my wrist but I don't seem to get many steps (5500steps) in 50km, 70RPM.  If my math is correct, I should have 10,500steps.  Ride took 2hrs30mins (this is my moving time) at an average of 70 crank revolutions for min! if you get one step per revolution that is.

Do I turn off my Fitbit and turn on Smarttrack and put my phone in my jersey pocket?  If I do this, does my step count reset?  is it smart enough to figure it out?  I want to get Heart Rate and MyFitnessPal does transfer heart rate, does that count toward cardio fitness or do you have to use the fitbit heart rate for that?

Moderator edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I was just walking my cat(yes, really) and about half way through I noticed my steps weren’t counting because I was pushing the stroller, not swinging my arm....so I put my Fitbit on my flip flop. Worked pretty good.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @JeffActive, I hope you're doing well, it's nice to see you around. Thanks for joining the conversation @Amber61616182, it's a pleasure for me to welcome you to the Fitbit Community. Smiley Happy

@JeffActive, we really appreciate our members's input and feedback and I would like to thank you for yours. Our team is always looking to improve the Fitbit experience and I would like to check on @FloraS's suggested idea to add more features, such as steps, to cycling activities. Feel free to add your vote and comment, this is the best way to make your voice heard and get the attention from our development team.

In the meantime, there have been reports from other users, like @Amber61616182, that have found that placing the tracker on one of their ankles helps them gain steps when cycling. Please note that even when this can be done, it's possible the steps won't be as accurate. 

I hope this can be helpful, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply.

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found this is another post:

"Try this if your phone is supported by MobileTrack - add your phone as a tracker. 1. Remove Blaze before going on a ride, or turn it off. 2. Put phone in jersey or pants pocket. If you are like me then you will see something like 400-600 steps per mile. The higher your pedaling cadence, the more steps per mile."

I wouldn't recommend Putting your fitbit in the jersey, because of Sweat and because its not waterproof.  I wouldn't even wear it in the rain.

Here is a link to the post: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Blaze/Thousands-of-steps-while-cycling/td-p/1484048

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just cycled 14k. Although my Fitbit only added 1800 steps! Seems very unfair! The steps on my iPhone showed 7500. How can I get them to sync?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Move to Nova Scotia Canada, so many potholes, so many steps lol

This is the ONLY viable solution as Fitbit doesn't seem to care about this.  You need to setup MobileTrack and leave your FitBit at home.  Once your FitBit is not seen by your phone, MobileTrack then takes over and the steps sync up with the fitbit app and adds them to the steps you had on your FitBit Device.  It works rather well..

What I hate about FitBit is that in Order to get steps cycling, you have to leave it home or turn it off.  This adds other issues like not getting Heart Rate during your ride and that you cannot sync FROM Strava.  I have to setup a Sync from MyFitnessPal which gets its data from Strava (Including Power, HR, Cadence and Speed).  Important data like your Heart Rate is NOT brought over.  Epic fail.  Add two-way Strava sync Support guys! come on! so we can get HR, Cadence, Speed, Power!!!  All they sync is Calories.  

The website clearly states FitBit (Fitness Tracker) its a step counter! not a fitness tracker in my opinion as metrics are lost in sync!  Sorry for the ramble, just setup MobileTrack 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes