Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories burn changes when manually logging exercise

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My tracker did not auto track since during our hike, we were stopping and starting, and I didn't start it myself either on my watch (Sense) as I like to be able to look at my watch to see the time and not having it start and stop (pause) based on how much I am moving.  But when I go in to add the exercise activity manually after, it changes the way it shows calories burned and ends up averaging them during the time frame. I would think that since the system knows what my calorie burn was, it should be able to keep it the same, like it does with heart rate.

Is there an activity/exercise I can choose so it will keep the calories burned correctly instead of adjusting it to an avg. during the time? Or is there a way to manually add the activity to show as an exercise to show all the correct information (Heart Rate Zones, Active Zone Minutes, Heart Rate, Calories Burned ~without it drawing a straight line~, steps)?

It doesn't matter if I do this with the iOS App or a Desktop Dashboard, it continues to do this.  Is this just a fault in the FitBit coding?

Before adding a Manual ExerciseBefore adding a Manual Exercise

After adding a Manual ExerciseAfter adding a Manual Exercise

Edited: to correct spelling

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

@MandaPandaBear   Hike isn't one of the auto recognized activities.  That being said, walk is on the list.  But you might have started and stopped too many times for anything to register.  Logging manually like you did is a holdover from older Fitbit models that don't have an exercise app.  It always uses an estimated calorie burn and will overwrite the heart rate based calorie burn.  You should only log manually if you aren't wearing your Fitbit.  It's just the way things are.  If you delete the logged exercise, your calorie burn will go back to the previous number.  But you will lose that exercise credit.  Take this experience as a lesson learned.

With respect to seeing the current time, you have two options.  (1) Your Sense shows a top, middle, and bottom stat when you use the Exercise app.  You can scroll through a number of real time stats in the middle stat position.  The current time is one of the real time stats.  (2) The top and bottom stat are preloaded for each exercise, but you can customize them on the Sense.  For example, choose Hike on your Exercise app.  Swipe up on the tiny "^" at the bottom of the screen and swipe up to Show stats.  The top stat is probably set to distance and the bottom to elapsed time.  You can set either one to the current time.  Then you don't need to swipe or tap the middle stat to get to the current time.

I hope this helps.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes