Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counting Steps without using a tracker.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi I am a nurse and work 10-12hr shifts.  Unfortunately due to Health and Safety I am not allowed to wear my fitbit to work.  Is there a step app that links to the fitbit so I can still have my steps counted throughtout the day?

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
33 REPLIES 33

Hello @NurseTJ, and thanks for joining us, it's great to have you board the Community! Smiley Happy

If you're not able to use your tracker due to safety restrictions you can still record your steps using MobileTrack on your phone. 

To enable MobileTrack:

1. Open the Fitbit app and tap on the Account tab.
  2. Tap on + Set Up a Device.
  3. You'll be able to see MobileTrack, tap on it and follow the onscreen instructions.

This way, Fitbit will use your phone sensors to to track basic activity data including steps, distance, and calories burned. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else. Smiley Wink

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

Hi, I'm in the same situation as not being able to wear my tracker all the time. However, when I try to set up Mobiletrack I'm not seeing that option..

Best Answer

Hello @AnneDM, thanks for joining us, it's great to have you on board. Smiley Happy

Please keep in mind that MobileTrack is only available on the iPhone 5S and up due to the sensors included on these versions of the iPhone. 

If you have an iPhone 5S, 6, 6S or 7 and you're still not able to see MobileTrack, please take a screenshot of your app and reply to me. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply! Smiley Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, I don't have an iPhone...I'm using a Samsung Galaxy J. This is supposed to have those sensors because my steps are counted with Google Fit...but I'd prefer it be done on the Fitbit app

Anessa
Best Answer

Hello @AnneDM, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, the Samsung Galaxy J, is not listed as a supported device for MobileTrack. As mentioned above, only the iPhone 5S / 6-6S / 7 are supported due to their specific sensors. 

I hope this resolves your inquiry, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Ok thanks for the help. Would've been nice if Google Fit or a similar app
was compatible to compensate for that though 😕
Best Answer

Hello @AnneDM, thanks for replying. I understand your position about this situation, our team is always looking to improve the Fitbit experience and I would like to encourage you to submit your insight as a suggested idea, where our members can comment and vote for it so it can be implemented in the future. This is truly the best way to make your voice heard. 

I hope this can be helpful, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to let me know. Happy stepping! 

Best Answer

I'm also very interested in Fitbit allowing Android users to be able to sync their steps with an app when you don't have your watch. I took 34,576 steps today. Unfortunately, for me my Fitbit died and needed charging. Therefore, I left it at home charging while I was at work. I then downloaded another step app so, I could try to keep up with my steps. Discussing this with product development would allow ALL users other avenues when they can't wear their Fitbit watch.

Thank you,

Alpha J

Best Answer

Can't you use the fitbit one and clip it to your undies? That is where i clip mine... doesn't get in the way and stays secure

Best Answer
0 Votes

If I don't have my tracker/watch with me, my iphone 6S plus will not track my steps. Could you assist?

I can't post picture. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The iPhone 8 does not have mobile track as an option...

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have an iPhone 6S

Sent from my iPhone

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @NurseTJ,

Can you not just put your tracker in a pocket or your sock? They don’t allow a Fitbit at work at all?

MICHAEL | ONTARIO, CANADA
Charge HR, Charge 2, Aria - iOS, Windows 10
Best Answer
0 Votes
I accidentally left it at the house while it was charging.

Sent from my iPhone

Best Answer

I just started to use an apple watch and set up mobile track. However mobile track is not recognizing all the steps I've taken. For example on my phone activity I've done 1236. On mobile track it's 21. That's a ridiculous disparity. 

Suggestions on how to get it to work correctly? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I apologize, I’m in the same shoes as you. My Fitbit is not syncing with phone either. I’m staying in constant contact with them.
I wish I could help!!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,

I have a Samsung 5, and I added 30 minutes of walk time through Exercise tracker (timer - previous log) on the phone, as I forgot to wear my fitbit today, and it added steps and calories to the dashboard. It also shows that I walked 30 minutes, even though I didn't continuously walk for 30 minutes, but it did add steps and calories. Hope this helps! ~B~

Best Answer

It is upsetting that Androids are not equipped with the same capabilities as IOS phones. This is discouraging and upsetting. Even though the cost to purchase a Fitbit is the same for use with an android and IOS phones, it does not allow for the same features. When will this be corrected?

Best Answer

That's not entirely true. Once you put your fitbit back on, there is a tendancy for your fitbit to erase all yourt mobile tracked steps.  It's pretty junky software.

Best Answer