Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive background syncing when all day sync is disabled

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've currently on version 3.19. Sometime over the last few weeks a Fitbit App update has resulted in excessive background updating. Here's what is going on:

1: With my Inspire HR I've always had "All-Day Sync" disabled as I don't require constant syncing. I can sync when I open the App.

2: "All-Day Sync" is still disabled. I noticed battery drain on and when looking at battery stats I can see that Fitbit app is running as a background task for up to an hour every hour. When the phone is charging it runs contstantly in the background.

3: I've no idea what is actually syncing because when I open the Fitbit app I still have to manually sync the App to pull stats from the Inspire.

My question is.

1: Why is it constantly syncing when "All-Day Sync" is disabled? 

2: What is actually being synced? It seems strange that after 45 minutes background syncing in the last hour I still have to manually sync for the app to update step count etc.

I've uninstalled the app, reinstalled, rebooted phone and all the usual steps. The only solution to stop it needlessly consuming battery is to close the app .e.g double type home button and swipe the app away.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

It's not enough to turn off all day sync.  To be honest i'm not even sure if all day sync works as i have the same issue you do.

You have to disable background app refresh to save your battery.

I suspect that fitbit is trying to sync location data, but i'm just guessing. @KateFitbit do you know whats syncing behind the scenes when the app is closed?

Best Answer

Thank you for that piece of information. I, too, noticed that Fitbit had consumed over 5 hours of background time on my iOS device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've only recently the issue of the app running for hours in the background when I upgraded to a Charge 4.  I have background refresh disabled on my phone for all of my apps.  

I'm only two days into having the Charge 4 and this problem.  It stopped doing last evening using hours at a time, and restarted this morning at 8 am, when my activity hours start (where it reminds you to walk every hour 250 steps).  

I did notice yesterday if I forced the app closed, it didn't do it (saw it on another board and it does work), but then it doesn't sync through the day.  Also have to remember to force close the app after each time you open it.  

Best Answer
0 Votes