Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FitBit Alta HR and App while running

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Until last week the distances were dead on - I have run the same routes for at least 5 years with different tracking devices. This week the FitBit App has been overestimating the distance by close to 10pc. On a 5km run it tells me I run 5.5km. Anyone else having similar issues? I checked with other running apps and they are showing 5km, so it is not my iPhone 7... Pedro

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hello @Pgporfirio, I hope you're having a great day, it's nice to see you around. Smiley Happy

It seems very odd that the Fitbit app is showing you a discrepancy on the distance of your run. Please note that the app and the trackers calculate the distance traveled using your stride length, which is based on your personal settings. 

In this case I would like to recommend you to calculate your stride length manually:

1. Go to a track or some place where you're sure of the distance.
  2. Count your steps as you walk across that distance, making sure you travel at least 20 steps.
  3. Divide the total distance (in feet) taken by the number of steps to get your stride length. (Your running stride can be calculated the same way if you run instead of walk.)

After calculating your Stride Length, you can update it by going to your personal settings and clicking on Stride Length and adding it manually. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else! Smiley Wink

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

well, I am not sure that is the case. I am using the app and it is using GPS, so I think this is not a matter of the stride?

@MarcoGFitbit wrote:

Hello @Pgporfirio, I hope you're having a great day, it's nice to see you around. Smiley Happy

It seems very odd that the Fitbit app is showing you a discrepancy on the distance of your run. Please note that the app and the trackers calculate the distance traveled using your stride length, which is based on your personal settings. 

In this case I would like to recommend you to calculate your stride length manually:

1. Go to a track or some place where you're sure of the distance.
  2. Count your steps as you walk across that distance, making sure you travel at least 20 steps.
  3. Divide the total distance (in feet) taken by the number of steps to get your stride length. (Your running stride can be calculated the same way if you run instead of walk.)

After calculating your Stride Length, you can update it by going to your personal settings and clicking on Stride Length and adding it manually. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else! Smiley Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ever since I updated my fitbit app on my iPhone 7, my distances (when using the GPS) have increased dramatically.  My daughters house is 1.3 km away, and it is showing as 1.7 on the map.  Up until this last update it was pretty close.  I agree with Pgporfirio, it should have nothing to do with stride if its using the GPS.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Pgporfirio, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply. Thanks for joining the conversation as well @Gigi-7

I appreciate you have brought this to my attention, it seems the issue is only affecting users who have an iPhone 7 and iOS 10. If you have a different phone model and OS version, please reply to me with that information to add it as well. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, once I have more information to share with you, I'll make sure to update the thread. Additionally, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have an iPhone 7 and iOS 10

Pedro Porfirio
pedro@porfirios.org
+44 752 532 8185
Sent from my mobile.
Best Answer
0 Votes