Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FitBit vs Apple watch

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have an old fitbit now that I started wearing again. I also have a Samsung Note8 and Galaxy Frontier smartwatch. I am planning on moving to Apple and getting an XS Max. My dilemma is do I upgrade to a new Fitbit like the Versa or Ionic or bite the bullet and get an Apple watch. I track steps food intake and plan to join the gym and lose some weight.

I am not sure how well Fitbit and the iPhones work together and syncing with Apple health looks problematic.

Thanks for any advice or opinions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

in my view, the Fitbit App in combination with versa/ionic/charge and Aria is the best all inclusive Solution for Fitness and the things you want to do. If you want to use the Apple Watch to loose weight you have to use another App to Track your Food (Lifesum oder Yazio or something like this) .

i think a big Point for Fitbit is the 24/7 Tracking of your calories and the calculation of burned calories the whole day in its own App. Apple Watch does nearly the same, but I think the Automatik detection of what you do is better at Fitbit. And so the calorie calculation is quiet better at Fitbit. And the permanent Tracking of sleep is not possible withe Apple due to the battery capacity.

if you look at other points like product quality, Software quality and all Smart Watch Features beside Fitness and Sport Tracking i think the Apple Watch is very much better.

best regards from Germany

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

The Apple Watch is a better overall product. Unfortunately Fitbit has refused to let you have your data sync to apple health. In fact recently they said they are a data collection company(not cool). 

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are several limitations put on Fitbit by Apple, like responding to texts or answering calls apple will not allow.

As for apple health, Fitbit does not push themselves on to third party sights, but invites them to partner up. If apple wanted fitbits data they could easily get it.

I'm not sure which company is recently a data collection service, Fitbit has been a data collection company since Day 1, Apple has never stopped collecting data. If a user has ever logged into any page then Google also has tons of data on your. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

in my view, the Fitbit App in combination with versa/ionic/charge and Aria is the best all inclusive Solution for Fitness and the things you want to do. If you want to use the Apple Watch to loose weight you have to use another App to Track your Food (Lifesum oder Yazio or something like this) .

i think a big Point for Fitbit is the 24/7 Tracking of your calories and the calculation of burned calories the whole day in its own App. Apple Watch does nearly the same, but I think the Automatik detection of what you do is better at Fitbit. And so the calorie calculation is quiet better at Fitbit. And the permanent Tracking of sleep is not possible withe Apple due to the battery capacity.

if you look at other points like product quality, Software quality and all Smart Watch Features beside Fitness and Sport Tracking i think the Apple Watch is very much better.

best regards from Germany

Best Answer

Thank you, that makes sense.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The apple watch ch is going after the high tech market and the Apple only crowd, exercise and sleep tracking has always been like an add on. Heck, I know people that don't carry a phone needs anymore, doing everything from email, texting, phone calls to spreadsheets on their wrist. 

Fitbit on the other hand is, well as the name suggests geared to getting fit. Most users don't care about the unrealistic uses that apple appcadded to their watch but do like the little conveniences that Fitbit has added to the newer models. I do like reading the texts, tweets, and the first part of the emails, I get just enough to get an idea of the message, which is great for me. 

Yes fitbits have had their problems, so has Apple, ifind that every app update has made the app more stable. This has not helped the phone OS problems that creep in, such as with a major app update I find permission for noticifications have been revoked by the phone.

Basically the AW and Fitbit, at least for now, are going after different users, which do have a small overlap, and this sample have a decision to make.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the Note 8 now and the Frontier. I do like what a Smartwatch offers with calls app notifications and texts but this is off on steps and floors and the battery is not always great.. I started wearing the Fitbit One and do use MyFitnessPal to enter food intake which syncs nicely with the Fitbit App. I am not crazy about Samsung Health and plan to replace my Note 8 with an iPhone at some point. Ultimately I want one device that does well tracking steps and exercise and food intake. I am fine using MyFitnessPal and do in fact like it. FitBit makes a great device and is a lot cheaper that the Apple Watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone, I hope you're doing well, it's nice to see you around. It's great to see you too @Rich_Laue, thanks for your input about this situation. Smiley Happy

I appreciate your participation in the Forums for posting your questions and concerns. At this moment our team does not plans to release a dedicated Apple Watch app or integrate Apple Health and Fitbit. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released here in our FAQs

Our team has left the feature suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so our team can continue to track community demand over time. I appreciate @Rich_Laue's input about this situation that summarizes the differences between an Apple Watch and a Fitbit device, please check it out.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes. Additionally, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply, I'll be happy to help. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes