Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit app doesn't allow to connect multiple devices

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I recently updated the Fitbit app in a LONG time.

I have 3 Fitbit devices: Versa, Ionic, and Alta. Before I updated the app I had all three on my account, after I updated it they all were disconnected.

When I set up the first watch everything is fine, but when I try to set up anything else it tells me "Switching? There's a Fitbit _____ connected to your account already." and only gives me the option to switch and not just add another device. 

Anyone got any help for this?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Not really any help, but quoting from

Can I use more than one Fitbit device with the same account? 

Note that you can't connect multiple devices that use the Fitbit App Gallery to one account. For Fitbit Charge 3, Fitbit Ionic, Fitbit Inspire series, and Fitbit Versa series, only connect one of these devices to your account at a time.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
56 REPLIES 56

Not really any help, but quoting from

Can I use more than one Fitbit device with the same account? 

Note that you can't connect multiple devices that use the Fitbit App Gallery to one account. For Fitbit Charge 3, Fitbit Ionic, Fitbit Inspire series, and Fitbit Versa series, only connect one of these devices to your account at a time.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

Hi, @Rubz93 , unfortunately this is officially how it works.  You can have the Alta on your account, but currently, officially, you cannot have both Versa and Ionic on the same account.  This is because they both use the Fitbit operating system and currently multiple devices are not supported (because when using multiple “smart” watches some features work inconsistently, especially notifications).

Some folks have worked around by using older versions of the app for set up, presumably because they are willing to accept the downside of not all features working consistently, balancing the upside of having multiple trackers.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

That probably explains it. I just bought the Ionic 3 days ago and updated the app with it. I was using the Fitbit Surge as my workout watch and upgrade to Ionic.

Best Answer

The only workaround is to set up a new account.  I don't want 2 accounts.  If I add a second account, Fitbit wants a different email account.  I prefer to not provide another email account.  One would think that Fitbit wouldn't want people to have multiple accounts either.  We need a solution.   I use my older devices when doing yard work, swimming, or going to the hot tub or sauna.  I would prefer that all of my steps for the day total together.  This is frustrating. I also have trouble adding back an older device once it's removed.  

Best Answer

The only workaround is to set up a new account.  I don't want 2 accounts.  If I add a second account, Fitbit wants a different email account.  I prefer to not provide another email account.  One would think that Fitbit wouldn't want people to have multiple accounts either.  We need a solution.   I use my older devices when doing yard work, swimming, or going to the hot tub or sauna.  I would prefer that all of my steps for the day total together.  This is frustrating and unacceptable.  No wonder there are so many people with multiple accounts.

Best Answer

I guess you can not longer have two or more devices connected at a time. 
The personon the phone did not provide any explanation other than “ that is way for now on” I am not too happy 😞

Best Answer

Yes, me too. I had both the Charge 2 and Ionic on my one account and they worked fine, now I've upgraded my 2 --> Charge 4 and it blew away my Ionic device. Not cool. I use one for work wear and the other for sports, so having to make two accounts now is dumb. Definitely need to give this feedback to their dev teams. In the meantime, I've installed my Ionic back on my account as its my primary go-to watch.

Best Answer

Agreed, I just bought a charge 4 after reading that the app supports multiple devices. I planned to keep my charge 3 for working around the house. Very disappointing. I wish I would done more digging. Fitbit could have been more honest in their announcement of support for multiple devices.

if the problem is in sending alerts then you could at least allow people to set a primary device which receives alerts, and others which don’t. Not a good solution but better than just not allowing more than one device.

Best Answer

Agree.  I don't use my watches for messages anyway.  I just want one for work and one for working out.  They need to fix this. 

Best Answer

I'm just here to complain as well. I want to use my old charge 4 instead of my new Sense, when practicing any activity that might break the device.

Everybody here should click "Affects Me Too" on the original post!

From Liège, Belgium.
Best Answer

Yes, I’m sorely disappointed with this set-up, too. One’d would think that they would be happy to support or enable multiple devices under one account. This would allow users to conveniently buy and use several of their devices. As it is now, it could discourage many from buying and using multiple devices. This is a shame, as different looks, form factors, and features would allow us users to choose to use different devices for different occasions. I would think it would be in the best interest of Fitbit to find a dilution for this.

Best Answer
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Totally agree. Have had as many as4 of my Fitbits on my account at once (zip, charge, blaze, ionic). Recently deleted zip & charge as they’re dead. A friend gave me his Versa 3, added it via app, it kicked off my Ionic. Absolutely ridiculous!! Went on support chat, he explained about conflict re app gallery being the reason but he would raise it as a suggestion. Really not happy at all. And I thought They would be more savvy than this. 😠

Best Answer

OMG this is exactly what I did and on top of it I got the fancy one for when I go out and now I can't connect them.  This is such a bad design.  I certainly hope they are working on an upgrade. 

Best Answer
I do not believe they’ll make it right considering Google recently bought Fitbit.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hi everyone. It's good to see you participating in the Community Forums. It's nice to see new faces around!

I appreciate for sharing your feedback and suggestion. As you know, you can't connect multiple devices that use the Fitbit App Gallery to one account. For Fitbit Charge 3, Fitbit Charge 4, Fitbit Charge 5, Fitbit Ionic, Fitbit Inspire series, Fitbit Luxe, Fitbit Sense, and Fitbit Versa series, only connect one of these devices to your account at a time. For more information see, Can I use more than one Fitbit device with the same account?

Our team is always working on improving our devices and user experiences, and your comments are always welcome. To share additional feedback or if you want the features to be improved, feel free to visit our Feature Suggestions board, as this is always useful to continue to track popularity and demand over time.

See you around. 

Cindy|Community Moderator| Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution!
Best Answer

Not sure what this has to do with it.  

I'm seriously thinking about switching to Garmin.  At least then I won't have to charge my watch every 2 days.  

Best Answer

This is a terrible justification for this lack of product functionality.

Fitbit surely don't want to disincentive users to buy more Fitbits? Especially now they purposefully sell them for different lifestyles, or personas as marketing would call them, e.g. The Luxe for formalwear, the charge for more exercise-focused uses, the sense for more stats- and apps-focused general life as usual uses. This limitation to only have one of these per account is extremely short-sighted. 

Best Answer

Hello,

Does Fitbit have any plans to correct this flaw where you can not use 2 App Gallery devices at the same time? If this isn't possible, I am hoping to return my mother's Christmas gift since she doesn't want to lose her Versa for Luxe.

Thank you.

Best Answer