Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS distance incorrect on iPhone X + Charge 2.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My wife and I often run together.  We both have Charge 2s and track our runs with the Fitbit iOS app.  I have an iPhone X and she has an iPhone SE.  When we run together, my GPS consistently records less distance than hers.  This happens every time, on multiple routes and in multiple cities.  When we look at the maps after a run, my path often "cuts corners", has me running through buildings, and shows pretty big differences when I turn around and run on the exact same path in the other direction.  Hers doesn't appear to do this.

Is the iPhone SE GPS just better than the iPhone X GPS for some reason?  Or is this somehow related to the app?

When I record cycling with Strava the quality of the GPS data looks much better, but runs recorded with the Fitbit app have the problems I said above.

I am running:

iOS 11.4.0

Fitbit app 2.53

Fitbit Charge 2 firmware 22.55.2

She is running:

iOS 11.3.0

Fitbit app 2.53

Fitbit Charge 2 firmware 22.55.2

I also have have my location services on and Fitbit can always use it.  Mobile data ON.  Background refresh for Fitbit app ON.

Maybe this is something even as simple as the running cases we use?  Any help with this would be appreciated because it is unfortunately not the best experience when we go to run a long distance together, but our trackers have it recorded as almost a km different despite the fact we have been running side-by-side the whole way...

Thanks in advance!

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hello @JasonCanNor, have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board. Smiley Happy

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and for letting me know details about your devices and the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far. Tell me, are you using MobileRun in the Fitbit app or do you always track your runs through the Charge 2? If this is the case, please keep in mind that all GPS devices, whether your phone or your tracker connected to your phone, require a direct path to these satellites in order to receive their radio transmissions. If the signal is being blocked—either because you're underground, near many tall buildings, or as a result of atmospheric effects—GPS will not work.

Once you select an exercise on your Charge 2, it will need to find the GPS signal first before it can start tracing a path. Check the following screens to know when your tracker has connected well:

GPSCharge2.PNG

Now, when you use only your phone and MobileRun to record your exercise, your phone is the one using its integrated GPS which means the path will be more accurate and it's harder for a phone to lose a GPS signal.

Additionally to turning mobile data and background refresh on in the app Settings, I would like to suggest you to turn off WiFi from your phone Settings when you start a run, this will prevent the phone from searching for a WiFi signal while you're running, if your phone is searching for a WiFi network the GPS connection might drop for short periods of time, impacting the map at the end of the exercise. Also, make sure your device is able to identify your location. To do so, tap Settings > Privacy > Location Services and make sure it's on.

I hope this resolves your inquiry, if there's anything else I can do for you, please let me know, I'll be happy to help. Robot Happy 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @MarcoGFitbit

I always record with the FitBit mobile app. I have done all of your recommended actions including turning off my wifi and I still have the same issues. Running the exact same path with my wife who has a Charge 2, and is tracking with the mobile app, but my phone always records me as having run 100-200 m less and clearly puts my GPS trail through some buildings. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @JasonCanNor, I hope you're doing well, thanks for joining the conversation. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have taken the time to share your experience with me and letting me know you're having trouble with distance when using MobileRun in the Fitbit app. At this moment I would like to suggest you to go to your phone Settings > Fitbit and make sure the following is enabled:

1. Location set to Always
  2. Background App Refresh enabled
  3. Cellular Data enabled

Now, if everything is showing as it should, go to Settings > General > Restrictions and make sure they're turned off. Then, restart your phone and try to start a new activity from MobileRun, make sure GPS connects before start a run/walk/hike. 

I hope this can be helpful, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @MarcoGFitbit,

Those were the settings I was using already. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @JasonCanNor, I hope you're doing well, thanks for coming back and let me know you have already checked the settings I mentioned earlier. Smiley Happy

At this moment, I would like to ask you to uninstall the Fitbit app, restart your phone and install it back. Please make sure to sync everything (MobileTrack included) in order to prevent any data loss. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and let me know the outcome. 

Best Answer
0 Votes