Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart Rate data disappeared from mapped walk/hike/run stats

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Just noticed there is no heart rate data in my mapped hikes today, neither in the mobile app nor the web app activity details page.  Is this a new bug?  It was working OK yesterday.

Best Answer
135 REPLIES 135

@JohnJC  Yes, using your tracker rather than the mobile app to initiate mapped activities has been mentioned previously in this long thread as a way to get the HR & elevation rise data back. There are 2 major issues with this workaround however:

1. Tracker-initiated activities don't give you the map in realtime, making it useless for hikers on unfamiliar, poorly marked trails, which is what I often use this function for.

2. There's a large discrepancy between the mileage reported using the tracker-initiated vs app-initiated activities, even though they're both using the same GPS data from your phone. Tracker-initiated miles are typically only 60-70% of actual miles, although I've seen as low as 30% when using both to track the exact same activity. This also makes the realtime pace data reported by the tracker highly inaccurate.

This was not a conscious decision made by Fitbit to make their mobile app useful for those who don't buy a Fitbit tracker - this is a bug in the code that was introduced last July.  HR and Elevation Rise data were reported just fine for years prior. (Not sure when the mileage algorithm error on the tracker was introduced though - I never did the cross-calibration check before the July failure, although I did sometimes use the realtime pace info on runs)

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner The acquisition of Fitbit by Google won't actually be finalized until early next year, so I'd like to think that there is still the possibility that things will improve.  I'm hoping that Google management will shake up Fitbit's organization, in particular:

1. Institute Software Quality Assurance to fix bugs, and test code before releasing it to users. There are so many bugs in the current app that have been reported but aren't getting fixed, and it seems every new release lately  introduces more bugs than it fixes.

2. Provide training for Customer Service so they can actually help with problems, and improve communications so that problems get reported to developers, and progress gets reported back to users.

If they want to compete with the Apple Watch, they're going to have to provide the quality of service that Apple does.

Best Answer
LVinLA,

Thank you for clarification. Yes! If google takes the necessary steps, as you detailed, they could turn around Fitbit and make it a worthwhile company.

You stated the problems accurately and distinctly.

Here’s hoping!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I wonder if this issue (MobileRun no longer tracks HR) affects the entirety of the FitBit ecosystem, or just certain users?  Do we know?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JohnJC  Seems the problem plagues iOS, Android, & Windows apps, for Alta, Versa, Inspire, Charge2 & Charge3 trackers.  Of course, if anyone isn't seeing the problem, they wouldn't be researching/reporting on this thread or the many parallel threads addressing this issue 🤔

Best Answer
0 Votes
It does seem to be across the various Fitbit models. I have a Charge 2 and several other models have complained. Not all users use the app to monitor walking or running so we have heard from only those that are irritated and angry about the loss of the heart rate report. The substitute options do not suit out needs and we cannot understand why a function that worked perfectly well until the end of July was removed and our requests for its return has been ignored or met with obfuscations and suggestions that don’t work.

A couple of users contacted Fitbit directly and Fitbit eventually replaced the device but the problem still occurred on the replacement as well.

Unhappy customers do not seem to be a concern for a Fitbit.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

You don’t get the map when you start your exercise from the Fitbit device, you do get you heart rate, but you can’t get both start you exercise on your phone you get the map but no heart rate, when is Fitbit going to fix this, we used to have the facility but in June or July 2019 it dropped off and they have done nothing about it since!!!!!!

Best Answer

They lied when they said they were working on a fix. That’s what they do, apparently. Sucks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
It does suck. So disappointing we paid for this feature, then gone forever. I guess it would cost Fitbit too much $ to put it back, so they just let it go. Next time, we buy Apple or Garmin.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I’m going with Apple in a few months. I tried Apple about 5 months ago but I bought one with a bigger face... too big. I returned it. Since fitbit still hasn’t gotten its act together, I’ll try Apple again, only I’ll go smaller. If Fitbit could be trusted (but they can’t) I would have tried their smart tracker. They lost my trust and my money.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes! I hope the word is out on Fitbit. My daughter has the Apple Watch and it is a superior product. Well worth the money. I wish I would have gotten that rather than the Fitbit. But soon! No more Fitbit.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I also have lost the heart rate tracking on my Fitbit Inspire after only 3 months of use. What does it mean to “forcequit” the Fitbit app?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Almost an year has passed and it was not fixed...

My Charge 3 does not track my heart hate when I do not use SmartTrack! Shame!

Best Answer
I have enjoyed using my fitbit but yes the tech services are very slow to correct technical problems. The inability to remove notifications took two years to fix and it was a poor fix. The app did a great job of providing information for my walks and then the heart rate info which was important to me disappeared with no explanation and no response to our queries. The Fitbit tech people rely on users to answer each other’s problems and when contacted give rubbish for solutions. I think the purpose of that was to push the monthly subscription. When my Charge 2 dies I’ll look for a better solution but it is unlikely to be Fitbit.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I talked to fitbit through facebook.  I was able to come up with the solution of turning on the tracking for a run/walk etc with my fitbit and carrying my phone with me.  This enabled fitbit to track my heart rate.  If I turn on the tracking with my phone, I do not get a heart rate.  I hope this helps all of you with this problem.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry, but this does not clear up the matter for me. Unfortunately I am not clear on just what your solution is. I always have my phone with me when I am tracking my walk. When I then check the stats on my walk, it provides the map, the pace, calories, and the “impact on your day”.
Perhaps I should try to explain our problem. Fitbit originally provided a breakdown of the heart rate for that walk(or run). It no longer does that. The loss of that stat in that information is what we have been complaining about for over a year or two. Fitbit is completely unresponsive on that topic. (As it has been on other topics such as the deletion of notifications.)

We know we can find this information in other locations but it is not as helpful as in the original location and is much more trouble to access.

We appreciate your effort to help us with this problem.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer