Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I turn off automatic updates for the Fitbit app?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Every time Fitbit Software does an update, it kills my app on my iPhone.  I have an iPhone 6.  So I do not have an IOS that will support the latest software.  Every time you (Fitbit) do an update, you push it to my phone which kills my app.  I have to delete it and reinstall the app from the App store.  I am running version 20001.88.11 which is the latest version that will run on my iOS 12.5.4...

How do I turn off your automatic updates!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and formatting

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

Hi @DarleneB  right now iOS 13 or higher is needed. You can read about it here - click. You can't turn off automatic updates. With Android, I can stall for ten or so days, but if I don't accept the changes to my phone, Samsung automatically updates it. The app you get at the Apple store is the latest one for your system on the phone. There isn't anything you can do about it.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

That is really annoying - so in other words, even if there is nothing wrong with my phone, Fitbit is demanding that I spend another couple of hundred dollars to update my phone just so I can sync my Fitbit to my phone...    I can not turn off automatic updates and each time you force an update on me, you break my app!!  Apple will support my phone for another few years but FitBit won't?    

Best Answer

@DarleneB  Fitbit supports their devices, not our phones. I have an older Android phone and tablet, but they can't use all the features because they are too old. I have a newer Android phone and it works for now, but I plan on a new phone in the next year or two.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes
Still there should be a way to turn off automatic updates...

--
“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Best Answer

Hi @DarleneB Welcome back to the forums. @Odyssey13 Thanks for stopping by to help our member.

@DarleneB I'm sorry for the difficulties experienced and thanks for every step tried prior to posting. This shouldn't be happening, could you provide more details about the issues with the Fitbit app? Also, does this happen when updating your Inspire? Or is it when updating the Fitbit app? I'm asking this as the version 20001.88.11 is the firmware version of your tracker which differs from the Fitbit app version. If the issue you're referring to it's related to the Fitbit app, see this article to turn off automatic updates from the App Store.

About your other question, please note that the Fitbit app was optimized to work on multiple mobile devices based on the requirements of each model and OS version. That being said, let me share that our team released the new Fitbit App 3.43 version which requires iOS 13.4+ to download it and use it. However, the Fitbit app will keep working on your iPhone, just make sure to not uninstall it as it won't longer be available in the AppStore

Hope this helps.

Best Answer
Lizzy Fitbit,

I have an Iphone 6.0 running iOS 12.5.4
I know that the new Fitbit app requires iOS 13 or higher but I can not run
that version on my iPhone 6.0. So when Fitbit does an automatic update to
my Inspire and/or iPhone - the app on my iPhone dies a horrible death and I
have to reinstall the old version of the app from the Apple store. I will
try to see if I can stop automatic updates until I get a new phone (which I
don't expect for a year or two). There is nothing wrong with my phone.
The only reason I got a smartphone in 2014 was that I wanted it to work
with my fitbit. I take care of my phone and I have a cover so when I
drop it, it is protected. I have never dropped it in the toilet (yet) or
in any water. I just feel like I am being punished for taking care of my
belongings.

Darlene

--
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @DarleneB. Thanks for getting back to me and sharing more details about this situation.

I've moved your posts to the iOS board to keep our forums organized. As you may know, our team releases new firmware updates for our Fitbit devices which can be manually downloaded from the Fitbit app. On the other hand, as any other app, the Fitbit app will update automatically if you have this option enabled in the App Store. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused by the updates and please know your feedback won't go unnoticed as it'll help us to improve our products, as well as our services. Let me recommend checking this article to turn off automatic updates from the App Store.

While the Fitbit app should continue working well after any update, don't hesitate to share your inquiries in the Help Forums. That way we can further investigate what it's happening, and you can receive help from the Community members.

See you around.

Best Answer
Thanks, I tried to find the old fitbit app on the apple store so I could
download it and save it but I can't find it any longer...

Darlene

--
Best Answer

Hi @DarleneB. It's good to see you here in the forums.

You're welcome. Thanks to you for the details and your efforts. Please let me explain that the Fitbit app is now available for iOS devices that are on iOS iOS 13.4+ and while the Fitbit app can continue working on older iPhones, it won't longer be available in the App Store once it's uninstalled. I'm sorry for this inconvenience and I'd recommend borrowing a compatible mobile device from a friend or relative so you can sync your Inspire.

See you around.

Best Answer